[News] ODF Makes New Big Steps

Thirty years old and still no Tom-Tom…

,----[ Quote ]
| ODF 1.2 is well underway. The arrival of a flurry of new members inside the
| ODF Technical Committee who have illustrated themselves as proponents of
| OOXML is a bit fun to watch I must say. But I have to command the general
| serenity of the Committee and its chairs, Rob Weir and Michael Brauer for
| their quiet and effective management of the proceedings. I think the only
| thing that is to be hoped for is that we can finish the completion of this
| ODF sub-version. Also, and of some interest, I can only recommend the reading
| of the archives of the Committee’s discussions online where interesting
| concepts on extensions and conformance are being discussed.
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2009/03/03/thirty-years-old-and-still-no-tom-tom/

ODF Alliance offers recommendations to Obama administration

,----[ Quote ]
| Following on the heels of yesterday’s set of open standards recommendations
| to the Obama administration by the Information Society Project at Yale Law
| School, the Open Document Format Alliance has offered its own recommendations
| in the area of open standards for document formats.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=3427

- From the Statute of Frauds to WYSIWYS: Document Format Implications

,----[ Quote ]
| For editable formats like ODF, I think it points out the need to describe a
| formal content model that describes the semantic content of a document, aside
| from its formatting and layout. So text + lists + tables + headers + footers
| + footnotes + images + captions, etc. Visual appearance is nice to have as
| well, but it is less robust when rendered on different devices, different
| operating systems, and is less likely to be robust when rendered on
| OpenOffice 10.0 in 2015. But the equivalence of the semantic content of an
| unextended ODF document should provide the same ability to have an accurate
| and reliable record in an electronic document as we have had traditionally
| with paper and ink.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/03/from-statute-of-frauds-to-wysiwys.html

Low-Fat ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| The proper pace to address these points is in the conformance clause of the
| ODF Standard. To that end, the current draft of ODF 1.2 defines two
| conformance classes, one for extended documents and one for unextended
| documents. The aim, in the end, is to give the consumer greater control and
| allow them to make a more intelligent choice. We can't force vendors to
| implement one or the other conformance class. And we can't force consumers to
| use one or the other. But we can formally define what an extended document is
| and let the free market operate based on the additional information made
| available.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/03/low-fat-odf.html

Teen winner of computer literacy contest

,----[ Quote ]
| Siti Nadia Radhuan, of Kolej Matrikulasi Pahang(KMP), won the Category IV of
| the 2008 Open Document Format Olympiad, a competition that tested the
| students' proficiency in the use of computers.
`----

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Wednesday/National/2495496/Article/index_html

Recent:

ODF Spreadsheet Interoperability: Theory and Practice

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a follow up to some work we did at the ODF Interoperability Workshop
| in Beijing last November. We had good participation there: IBM, Sun, Google,
| Novell and Redflag from the big vendor side, as well as a good number of
| users. It was a full-day workshop and we covered a number of topics. One of
| them was spreadsheet formulas. I gave a short presentation on spreadsheet
| interoperability, specifically on the work we've done on OpenFormula for ODF
| 1.2. We also did a short exercise to look for spreadsheet formula bugs.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/03/odf-spreadsheet-interoperability-theory.html

Microsoft hijacking ODF: the freedom to embrace and extend

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-134250/microsoft-hijacking-odf:the-freedom-to-embrace-and-extend