[News] List of Free (Libre) Applications and Mediaware

Hedging against recession with free and open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Is free and open source software (FOSS) a way to cut business costs? As
| concern about recession - even depression - deepens, more and more companies
| are asking this question. However, many have trouble knowing how to begin to
| find an answer.
|
| Certainly, many companies have been looking for FOSS solutions in the last
| six months. Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux Foundation, predicted
| last December that GNU/Linux and other FOSS technologies would become more
| attractive in hard economic times. “Lower cost, faster time to market, higher
| profit margins, better branding — these are all things that are in favor of
| Linux and not in favor of Windows,” he writes, and his comments seem
| accurate. According to Business Week, FOSS-based companies like SugarCRM,
| Digium and Zenoss, all reported record quarters last fall, while Red Hat had
| over $500 million in revenue over the last twelve months.
`----

http://blog.worldlabel.com/2009/hedging-against-recession-with-free-and-open-source-software.html

Open Source Media Center Apps Are Growing Up

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in December, MediaPortal 1.0, an open source application that turns a
| PC/TV into a sophisticated media center and digital video recorder, arrived.
| Originally based on the XBMC project, version 1.0 was a nearly complete
| redesign, and has gotten quite a bit of notice, despite a few bugs. On March
| 15th, the folks behind MediaPortal plan to release a 1.0.1 version with
| usability improvements
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/open-source-media-center-apps-are-growing-up

Recent: