[News] More ARM-based Sub-notebooks (GNU/Linux Only)

ARM-based Linux tablet converts to netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Always Innovating announced an open-source Linux netbook that boasts a
| detachable touchscreen tablet and 10-15 hour battery life. Running
| OpenEmbedded/Angstrom Linux and Mozilla's Fennec browser, the Touch Book
| weighs less than two pounds, offers WiFi 80211.b/g/n, and uses the Texas
| Instruments OMAP3-based BeagleBoard design.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9011409662.html?kc=rss

Touch Book from Always Innovating harbors removable tablet, netbook pricepoint

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/02/touch-book-from-always-innovating-harbors-removable-tablet-netb/

Want list: Always Innovating’s Touch Book

http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2009/03/02/want-list-always-innovatings-touch-book/

Always Innovating launching touch-screen Netbook

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10185351-1.html

Podcast: Innovative netbook with removable touch-screen

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has adapted a version of Linux to provide an iPhone
| CoverFlow-like interface for launching programs.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-19518_3-10186937-238.html

DEMO 09: Netbook with Detachable Screen and Half-Day Battery Life

,----[ Quote ]
| File this product under "We'll believe it when we see it." A Menlo Park
| company called Always Innovating says its Touch Book will be a netbook that
| turns into a tablet PC when you pull the screen away from the keyboard. The
| company also told the audience here at DEMO 09 that the Touch Book's battery
| will last 12-15 hours on a charge.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/160513/demo_09_netbook_with_detachable_screen_and_halfday_battery_life.html

Recent:

Ubuntu netbooks will run all day

,----[ Quote ]
| He said they would run for at least eight hours without a charge – a time
| long targeted by notebook manufacturers, as it is considered to be a working
| day. Intel-based notebooks claiming all-day working tend to pack extra
| batteries.
|
| Hickman was speaking after ARM announced that it is working with Canonical,
| UK commercial sponsor of Linux, to optimise Ubuntu for the ARM platform,
| mainly on the power management and use of the platform's Neon multimedia
| processing.
`----

http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/news/2230561/ubuntu-netbooks-run-day

Ubuntu on a Chip: ARMv7 Devices to Get Full Ubuntu Desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical has announced that because of increased demand from hardware
| manufacturers, it will begin supporting ARMv7 processors (used in many
| smaller and system-on-a-chip (SoC) devices) with an optimized, commercially
| supported, full version of the Ubuntu desktop.
`----

http://ostatic.com/176924-blog/ubuntu-on-a-chip-armv7-devices-to-get-full-ubuntu-desktops

ARM and Canonical to Bring Full Ubuntu Desktop Experience to Low-Power, ARM
Technology-Based Computing Devices

http://www.ibtimes.com/prnews/20081112/arm.htm

Ubuntu to run on ARM

,----[ Quotre ]
| ARM has announced that it has made a deal with Canonical, the company behind
| the Ubuntu Linux distribution, to create a version of Ubuntu for ARM
| processors that will offer the full desktop experience on low power devices.
`----

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10438&Itemid=1

ARM Cortex-based netbooks due soon

,----[ Quote ]
| While Microsoft has not produced an ARM-compatible version of its mainstream
| Windows operating system, the chip architecture is supported by Windows CE,
| multiple Linux distributions and a version of Apple's OS X.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39527261,00.htm

Linux SDIO stack targets ARM SoCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Chennai, India-based EmbWise has ported its Linux SDIO stack to two ARM-based
| system-on-chips (SoCs). Its SDIOWorx stack is now available for Freescale's
| i.MX31 and i.MX27 multimedia SoCs, which are primarily targeted at the
| personal media player (PMP), personal navigation device (PND), and video
| surveillance camera markets, says EmbWise.

Tiny boards gain Linux cross-tools support

,----[ Quote ]
| Gumstix says its tiny ARM-Linux SBCs now support the OpenEmbedded (OE) build
| environment. In addition to pre-built Linux images, the company now offers
| a "gumstix-oe" collection of source files and bitbake recipes, for those
| wishing to use the open source cross-compilation environment.

Dual-core ARM SoC clocks to 1.2GHz

,----[ Quote ]
| The MV7x SoCs are supported by a reference design development platform,
| including software drivers, toolchain, and BSPs for Linux, VxWorks, and BSD.

Why Ubuntu on ARM Could be a Rich Seam

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-ubuntu-on-arm-could-be-rich-seam.html

,----[ Quote ]
| Around 98% of the world's CPUs manufactured are used in embedded systems.
`----

http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/?q=node/132

Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06

Linux still top embedded OS

,----[ Quote ]
| In a new whitepaper on Linux in the embedded market, VDC researchers cite the
| following reasons for Linux's popularity:
|
|     * Licensing cost advantages
|     * Flexibility of source code access
|     * General familiarity
|     * Maturing ecosystem of applications and tools
|     * Growing developer experience with Linux as an embedded OS

Embedded Linux research report ships

,----[ Quote ]
| EDC noted that some 40 percent of the survey's 500 respondents were targeting
| embedded Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Also in the earlier reports, Andrews observed that the need for RTOS source
| code was "one of the reasons that proprietary RTOSes created in-house for a
| specific system have long been popular, and now it's a primary motivating
| factor in the adoption of Embedded Linux."
|
| The now completed survey results are said to include "expert analysis" from
| Ann Thryft, a 20-year industry veteran. The report includes chapters on
| platforms, processors, tools, languages, security, target devices, mobile
| development, and of course, Linux.

Microsoft Worried Over Linux Dominance In Embedded Space

,----[ Quote ]
| Renames its family of products to target the embedded market.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/26010/news.htm

Who's afraid of embedded Linux? Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9919632-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad