[News] United Kingdom Elevates by Free Software

Public sector ruling lifts UK open-source market

,----[ Quote ]
| VARs could be forced to build an open-source component into public sector
| software tenders under far-reaching government plans.
|
| Minister for digital engagement, Tom Watson, last week published a nine-point
| action plan designed to increase the pace of open-source adoption in the
| public sector (Channelweb, 25 February).
`----

http://www.channelweb.co.uk/crn/news/2237538/public-sector-ruling-lifts-uk-4496966

Recent:

Responding to Canada

,----[ Quote ]
| Do take a look; if you'd like to re-use any of it, there's also an ODF
| version. You'll note that we think lumping open source in with shareware,
| trialware and bait-and-switchware is a mistake; it's not about saving money
| on licenses, it's about securing key freedoms.  More inside.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/responding_to_canada

Britain Endorses ODF; Why Not The U.S.?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been adopted by Japan, Malaysia, and two states of India, as well as
| Hong Kong.
|
| Other countries that have adopted it are South Africa and Russia, according
| to the ODF Alliance.
|
| In this group of adopters, Britian is the country with the closest ties to
| North America. Its economy thrives, if that's the right word these days, on a
| similar liberal capitalism and technology-driven development. If Britain can
| adopt ODF, why not the U.S.?
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/02/britain_endorse.html

UK really gets FOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| The policy on open standards does not say much, but in the Action Plans (#8)
| it specifically says that ODF (ISO 26300) is required for compliance. OOXML
| is also mentioned, but merely as "emerging open versions of previously
| proprietary standards" which is probably the most generous description Ive
| heard. Its quite clear that the "defacto" binary Microsoft Office docs and
| Macro enabled OOXML are out.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2009/02/uk-really-gets-it.html

Wedding Open Source to Government Service Delivery

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the challenges I’m most interested in is how we can wed “open” systems
| to government hierarchies. In a lecture series I’ve developed for Health
| Canada I’ve developed a way of explaining how we do this already with our 911
| service.
|
| To being, I like using 911 as an example because people are familiar and
| comfortable with it. More importantly, virtually everyone agrees that it is
| not only an essential piece of modern government service but also among the
| most effective.
`----

http://eaves.ca/2009/02/25/wedding-open-source-to-government-service-delivery/

An open door for open source?