[News] GNU/Linux a Better Upgrade to Windows Than Windows

Desktop Linux: Ready for the mainstream

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, I found that it makes a lot of sense to standardize office workers
| on desktop Linux. I now understand why governments in Asia and Europe say
| they want to get off the Microsoft train and shift to Linux. I thought these
| were empty threats meant to get better licensing deals or to blunt some of
| Microsoft's monopolistic power, but as it turns out, desktop Linux is a
| worthwhile option for both public organizations and private companies. Those
| who standardize on Linux would save serious money on the new equipment needed
| for Vista or Windows 7, not to mention OS and Office upgrades as well. Your
| business could, too.
|
| [...]
|
| An easier transition from XP than going to Vista
|
| I set up a virtual machine on my Mac and loaded Ubuntu 8.1. (Why Ubuntu?
| Reviewers single it out as the best desktop Linux. Many folks like Novell's
| Suse as well. And there are other Linux choices.) It booted like a real OS,
| with the familiar GUI of Windows XP and its predecessors and of the Mac OS:
| icons for disks and folders, a standard menu structure, and built-in support
| for common hardware such as networks, printers, and DVD burners.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/09/03/02/09FE-desktop-linux-mainstream_1.html

Recent:

Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true: Microsoft has confirmed that it's abandoning Windows as we know
| it. Cagey as ever, the Microsofties won't say when it'll happen, but they
| have talked a little bit about what the next OS is going to look like--or not
| look like.
|
| [...]
|
| Midori for Linux?
|
| One of my smarter-than-me buddies, Gary F., told me that Linus Torvalds
| worked on something called Midori a few years ago, an embedded Linux for
| mobile devices: "I doubt Microsoft would ever release something that could be
| traced back to Linux, but if I recall correctly, Transmeta's Midori had some
| rudimentary 'cloud computing' features vaguely similar to Microsoft's
| Midori." Read "Details emerge on Transmeta's "Mobile Linux" and "Transmeta
| Exports Midori Linux to China" for details.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/149709/microsoft_is_giving_up_on_windows.html

5 reasons to upgrade from Windows Vista to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20488/1141/