Re: Trim Windows bloat -- make it a thin client

On Mar 2, 7:37 am, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstr...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anybody ever used xming?
>
>    http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/
>
> Still trying to figure out how its use-cases differ from Cygwin/X.
>
> Looks like it could be a more lightweight (e.g. no cygwin.dll) way to tunnel
> X through SSH to your remote Linux box.
>
> --
>         "It's hard to believe that something which is neither seen nor felt can
> do so much harm."
>         "That's true.  But an idea can't be seen or felt.  And that's what kept
> the Troglytes in the mines all these centuries.  A mistaken idea."
>                 -- Vanna and Kirk, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5819.0

We have found Xming far easier to install and administer than Cygwin,
which always required an hour or more of staff time to install,
whereas Xming can be installed by the user in five minutes and
actually works. Try it - you'll like it.

We always require the user to tunnel the protocol. You can see our
instructions at:

   http://www.nber.org/xming.html

but you probably don't want to copy the links (which go to our
server).

Daniel Feenberg