[News] [Rival] Microsoft And Its Barnett Shill Conduct Anti-Google Campaign

Is Microsoft Guilty of Bogus* Polling? Yes.

,----[ Quote ]
| That is classic push polling. If you want people to respond one way, ask them
| leading questions or feed them information that represents just one side in
| the debate. And it worked here: after hearing the statement about Barnett
| respondents (who, again, were not very familiar with the deal) claimed, by a
| score of 80-20 that government regulators did the right thing.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/02/is-microsoft-gu.html

After throwing out some of the 'disobedient' people:

Yahoo not opposed to deal with Microsoft

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_11785752?nclick_check=1

Yahoo sheds light on thinking about search deal

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/yahoo-executive-sheds-some-light/story.aspx?guid={260A8D7D-5147-4C08-9956-70782E1312A3}&dist=msr_1

Microsoft Wants Chat With Yahoo About Search Deal

http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/search/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=214502881&subSection=Management

Report: Microsoft still interested in Yahoo

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2009/02/23/daily27.html?jst=b_ln_hl

Microsoft Chief Still Stuck on Yahoo

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/24/microsoft-still-hopes-for-yahoo-search-deal/?ref=technology

Yahoo's Microsoft tab totaled $79 million

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10184454-93.html

Recent:

Yahoo! loses! another! boss!

,----[ Quote ]
| Coppel will stay for the handover to his replacement and leave the company in
| the first quarter of 2009.
|
| Sue Decker, president of Yahoo! Inc, said, “The appointment of Rich Riley
| represents the next phase in the evolution of our European and Canadian
| businesses, enabling us to build on the great foundations laid by Toby
| Coppel.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/28/yahoo_loses_euro_head/

Carl Icahn increases his stake in Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Icahn
| purchased roughly 6.8 million shares in Yahoo...
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/carl-icahn-increases-his-stake/story.aspx?guid=%7B8E93FB3F-0844-42E8-AEA7-FB1C6C3CE11B%7D&dist=msr_9

Yahoo stock rallies after Carl Icahn increases stake

,----[ Quote ]
| The company's stock surged 93 cents, or nearly 9%, to $11.51 in the shortened
| trading session after Icahn, a Yahoo board member who has been pushing a
| strategy shift or a sale to Microsoft Corp., said he had bought about 6.8
| million shares.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/investing/la-fi-yahoo29-2008nov29,0,5381025.story

Related:

Icahn! goes! double! or! quits! on! Yahoo!

,----[ Quote ]
| Talks with Microsoft are rumoured to be still going on - possibly just for
| its search business. And presumably Steve Ballmer is offering a lot less than
| $33 a share.
|
| Yang's supposed preferred response, an ad deal with Google, has also fallen
| through.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/27/icahn_yahoo_stake/

Microhoo: Ballmer takes off his gloves

,----[ Quote ]
| What Ballmer means: Jerry, you are making us both look bad. It's time to get
| in gear, and if I have to bring on the irate dancing monkey and go straight
| to the shareholders, I will.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13953_3-9912291-80.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft Threatens Yahoo Board With Proxy Battle, Lower Bid

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Steven A. Ballmer threatened Yahoo Inc.
| directors with a hostile takeover of the company if they don't reverse course
| and agree to a deal within the next three weeks.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120741922713292671.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Microsoft gives Yahoo three weeks to do a deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft on Saturday issued an ultimatum to Yahoo, giving the Internet
| search pioneer three weeks to enter formal merger negotiations and conclude a
| deal.
|
| The software giant threatened to launch a proxy fight to unseat Yahoo's board
| of directors, as well as take its case straight to Yahoo investors should no
| deal be reached in that period.
|
| And as a further cattle prod in getting a deal consummated, Microsoft
| threatened to lower its existing bid, citing how Yahoo's value will be hurt
| if it needs to resort to such hostile means.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9912349-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Bear Stearns's Advice To Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Co-founder Bill Gates can't be thrilled with watching
| Ballmer drain the company's cash. He didn't get so rich by buying at the top
| of the market.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/03/17/microsoft-bear-stearns-tech-ebiz-cx_ec_0316msft.html

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

Microsoft's DreamSpark – What a Giveaway

,----[ Quote ]
| The rest of the $44.6bn (£22.3bn) deal would be financed with an undisclosed
| amount of credit.
|
| What that means is that it must squeeze as much money as it can from its
| operations to fund that debt and still pay dividends to shareholders, who
| will be looking for some payback from the Yahoo takeover. Giving away
| software is the last thing it would want to do in these circumstances, and
| the DreamSpark announcement shows just how worried it is about the future.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/microsofts-dreamspark-%E2%80%93-what-giveaway

Yahoo says Microsoft's bid is distracting workforce

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo stated the obvious in its annual report on Wednesday by saying
| Microsoft's bid to buy the company is distracting executives and employees.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9881216-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Yahoo Battling 7 Shareholder Suits

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo Inc. is facing seven shareholder lawsuits alleging the slumping
| Internet pioneer bungled its response to Microsoft Corp.'s unsolicited
| takeover bid.
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gM9JqF0rLcz49fPhWY44jXEPXTmgD8V2VAU03

Yahoo sued by Chinese dissidents again

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo faces another lawsuit over its actions in China. Several Chinese men
| are suing the company and its Hong Kong subsidiary claiming they were harmed
| because of Yahoo's cooperation with the Chinese government.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9881042-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Yahoo Sued for Spurning Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Two Detroit pension funds have sued Yahoo Inc. and its board of directors,
| saying they breached their duties to shareholders in trying to thwart a
| takeover by Microsoft Corp.
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jdD7c1YzAOB-suxU2tJ63WjFjxngD8UVK7J80

Microsoft's IBM Moment

,----[ Quote ]
| News Commentary: Microsoft can only lose if it enters into a proxy fight
| against Yahoo.
|
| Supposedly, Microsoft is ready to make a hardball maneuver to replace Yahoo's
| board of directors. A proxy fight would be a highly aggressive move from a
| company that for years sought to remake its tarnished public image. Antitrust
| cases on two continents portrayed Microsoft as a bully, which is a label a
| Yahoo hostile takeover may just revive.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/corporate/microsofts_ibm_moment.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

A Yahoo Proxy Contest: How Good Are Microsoft’s Chances?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft refuses to boost its Yahoo bid, valued at $31 a share a few weeks
| ago. It refuses so thoroughly, in fact, that the Redmond, Wash., software
| giant may be willing to wage a proxy battle to oust Yahoo’s board, according
| to this report. (To do that, Microsoft must nominate a new slate of directors
| for Yahoo within the next three weeks).
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/02/19/a-yahoo-proxy-contest-how-good-are-microsofts-chances/?mod=yahoo_hs

Microsoft Usually Doesn’t Do This Sort of Thing. Except It Does. All The Time.

,----[ Quote ]
| When Microsoft proposed its $31 a share takeover of Yahoo, the deal’s rich
| 61% one-day premium seemed a necessary part of the audacious bid: at a price
| like that, who could refuse?
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/02/15/microsoft-usually-doesnt-do-this-sort-of-thing-except-it-does-all-the-time/?mod=yahoo_hs

How Yahoo went from Web star to Microsoft prey

,----[ Quote ]
| A desperate, expensive bid to beat Google; turf wars among divisions
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/how-yahoo-went-web-star/story.aspx?guid=%7BB4CA2BEB%2D6DCC%2D41E6%2D871D%2DEC0DB6F67DC4%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/34uso2

Microsoft to Authorize Proxy Fight at Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| In an escalation of its fight for Yahoo, Microsoft will authorize a proxy
| fight at the Internet company this week, people briefed on the matter told
| DealBook. Unless Yahoo quickly reverses course and enters into talks,
| Microsoft would then seek to nominate a slate of directors to Yahoo’s board
| by March 13, the final deadline for nominations, and pursue a lengthy
| campaign to oust the board.
`----

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/microsoft-to-authorize-proxy-fight-at-yahoo/index.html?hp

Why Microsoft Should Fret