[News] Fedora 10 Works Great, SCALE 7x Coverage

Fedora 10

,----[ Quote ]
| Congratulations to the programmers at Red Hat/Fedora.
|
| I've been using Ubuntu at work, still, but Fedora is an excellent
| alternative. Thus far, I can recommend it.
`----

http://jaslarue.blogspot.com/2009/02/fedora-10.html

SCALE 7x: Clint Savage of the Fedora Project on Spinning Your Own Linux LiveCD

,----[ Quote ]
| Clint Savage, West Regional Ambassador for North America, joined the
| FedoraProject.org, gave a talk at SCALE this year on how to spin your own
| custom version of Fedora and create a livecd or bootable USB image using open
| source tools.
|
| Here is an excerpt from the original abstract from Clint’s SCALE Speaker Web
| Page:
|
| Fedora offers a complete set of tools for generating your own customized
| distribution. The output format can be installable CDs or DVDs, or Live
| images suitable for CD/DVD or USB keys. These tools allow sub-communities to
| consume and contribute to FOSS using a platform that is geared toward their
| specific needs.
`----

http://www.thebitsource.com/2009/02/28/scale-7x-clint-savage-of-fedora-project-on-spinning-your-own-linux-livecd/

Recent:

5 Minutes of Fedora 10

http://benhay.blogspot.com/2009/03/5-minutes-of-fedora-10.html

Fedora 11 Will Have An Incredible Number Of New Features

,----[ Quote ]
| Fedora 10, an amazing Fedora release in its own right, had 28 approved
| features. Fedora 9 had 30 and Fedora 8 had 21.
|
| As of writing this Fedora 11 has 51 which have already been approved, plus
| another 9 waiting to be approved any day now. That means in the end there
| should be ~60 approved features which make it into Fedora 11! This doesn’t
| even count the work going into external things such as overhauling the
| documentation or the community work going into the Moksha project.
`----

http://californiaquantum.wordpress.com/2009/02/28/fedora-11-will-have-an-incredible-number-of-new-features/
http://tinyurl.com/cdut8w

Fedora 10 regains Linux fans

,----[ Quote ]
| I know personally, I'm been very impressed by Fedora 10. This edition of
| Fedora is the first one in years to have won a long-term place on my Linux
| desktop line-up in my office/lab. While I have over two-dozen computers that
| I use for evaluations, that still isn't enough. So I only keep operating
| systems around that I think are either truly useful or matter to many users.
| Fedora makes it on both accounts.
|
| I suspect too that Red Hat, which is re-entering the Linux desktop market,
| has been working hard to improve Fedora as a desktop system for the last few
| months. From where I sit, it's certainly Red Hat's best desktop in years.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/fedora_10_regains_linux_fans

Red Hat Fedora Linux 10 nears 1 million user mark

,----[ Quote ]
| When combined with other actively used Fedora distributions as of Feb 16,
| 2009, Fedora's counting method reports 12,188,598 Fedora Linux installations
| across Fedora 7,8,9 and 10 releases.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/02/red-hat-fedora-linux-10-nears.html

Fedora Users Gather In Berlin for LinuxTag And Fedora 11 Development

,----[ Quote ]
| The Fedora Project, a Red Hat (NYSE: RHT) sponsored and community-supported
| open source collaboration project, announced today that the Fedora Project
| will host the Fedora Users and Developers Conference (FUDCon) between June
| 26-28, 2009 in Berlin, Germany. FUDCon is a periodically held, community
| event where the Fedora community meets to discuss and collaborate on cutting
| edge technology features that eventually become part of the next release of
| the Fedora platform.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090225005263&newsLang=en

Red Hat returns to the Linux desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Does this mean that Red Hat will be getting back into the Linux desktop
| business? That's the question I posed to Red Hat CTO Brian Stevens, in a
| phone call after the Red Hat/KVM press conference, and he told me that, "Yes.
| Red Hat will indeed be pushing the Linux desktop again."
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/red_hat_returns_to_the_linux_desktop

Nouveau Becomes The Default Driver In Fedora 11

,----[ Quote ]
| Among a horde of other features to be introduced with Fedora 11 (a.k.a.
| Leonidas), the Nouveau driver will become the default NVIDIA driver on this
| Red Hat distribution.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzA4Ng

Video: FUDCon F11

,----[ Quote ]
| In January, a whole slew of Red Hat engineers and Fedora Project volunteers
| got together at the Fedora Users and Developers Conference (FUDCon) to
| collaborate on features for Fedora 11, setting team objectives, and other
| initiatives. Contributors including QA experts, marketing gurus, community
| managers, and our friends from the One Laptop Per Child project all came
| together. They presented new ideas at technical talks, worked on tasks, and
| most of all had fun in the brilliant, vibrant atmosphere that defines Fedora.
| If you weren’t able to make it, here’s a chance for you to see what you
| missed. Get a taste for how FUDCon works and the excitement it generates for
| everyone in the community.
`----

http://magazine.redhat.com/2009/02/13/video-fudcon-11/

Q&A with Paul Frields at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're a Fedora user, it's a very small step to become a Fedora
| contributor. Participation is how free software works, and you can help, by
| doing anything from filing a bug to writing a wiki page.
`----

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/26/qa-with-paul-frields-at-red-hat

Paul Frields as FPL: looks like a good choice

,----[ Quote ]
| A guy who pays attention to the small details that matter is an asset to any
| distro.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/01/13/11/40/19-paul-frields-as-fpl-looks-like-a

Fedora 11 Alpha Screen Shots

http://www.lampwebsitedesign.com/index.php?linux&release=Fedora%2011%20Alpha

Fedora 11 Alpha now ships with Windows cross compiler

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Red Hat's Fedora Project division announces that it has released its
| new Fedora 11 Alpha version, and has provided OS Today with some of its main
| features.
|
| Fedora's newest release includes a number of new features including the new
| Windows Cross Compiler and a development release of Gnome 2.26 as the default
| desktop.
|
| “The new Fedora ver. 11 Alpha should boot on the majority of systems, and
| provides a look at what new features are to be included in the next release,”
| Fedora’s Jesse Keating said today in an emailed announcement.
`----

http://www.ostoday.org/os-news-1/00016-020609.shtml

Fedora 11 alpha - and a new community liaison

,----[ Quote ]
| Fedora has also brought in Adam Williamson as a community liaison. "I am
| working for Red Hat as of this Monday. I have been hired into the Fedora QA
| team essentially to drive community involvement in the Fedora QA process.
| RH - and, to put a more personal touch on it, Jay Turner, who's responsible
| for Fedora QA - felt that Fedora could really benefit from more community
| involvement in the QA process, so my role is to try and help develop that."
| Adam previously did community work for Mandriva.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/318170/

Fedora 11 Alpha Comes With Huge Feature Set

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting with the installation, Fedora 11 is now using the EXT4 file-system
| by default but there is support built into the Anaconda installer for Btrfs,
| which recently entered the mainline Linux kernel.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzA0Mg

Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-announce/2009-02/msg00005.html

Fedora 11 release name

,----[ Quote ]
| The Fedora 11 release name is:
|
|   Leonidas
|
| The full GPG-signed message from our election coordinator, Nigel
| Jones, is attached.  Thank you to the community for their suggestions,
| Josh Boyer and the Board for their work on additional diligence
| searches, and Nigel Jones for setting up the voting.
`----

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-January/msg00010.html

Fedora 11: Blarney? Duchess? Zampone?

,----[ Quote ]
| In early December we shared that it was time for the Fedora community to come
| up with the Fedora 11 codename. Following that many different names were
| proposed for Fedora 11, but then after each name was evaluated and went
| through Red Hat's legal department, the list became much shorter. Now though
| it's time for the Fedora community to vote for the official codename.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njk2OQ

What will Fedora 11 be called?

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/01/what-will-fedora-11-be-called.html

Red Hat Fedora Claims It's the Leader in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat's Fedora community Linux distribution has now tallied its user base,
| and it's a number that on the surface would make it the largest installed
| base of any Linux distribution, with at least 9.5 million users and possibly
| as many as 10.5 million.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3786726/Red+Hat+Fedora+Claims+Its+the+Leader+in+Linux.htm

Fedora 11 release schedule set

,----[ Quote ]
| At today's FESCo meeting, the final schedule for Fedora 11 was
| approved.  Now  it's time for some reminders about the feature process
| for Fedora 11.  We're changing a few things this time around to
| hopefully make the whole process run smoother than ever!
|
| First., FESCo will be making decisions regarding dropping incomplete
| features at the meeting *2 weeks before* the freeze date, in order to
| give rel-eng and QA time to implement whatever contingency plans might
| be required prior to the freeze.  For Fedora 11, these dates are:
|
| Alpha freeze: 1/20 - FESCo meeting - 1/8
| Beta Freeze:  3/10 - FESCo meeting - 2/25
| Final Freeze: 4/14 - FESCo meeting - 4/1
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/309678/

Naming Fedora 11... Claddagh? Catania? Oxford?

,----[ Quote ]
| Among the names proposed thus far are Claddagh, Catania, Windsor, Oxford,
| Nebula, Claypool, Gokyo, and Zampone. The list of proposed names can be found
| on the Fedora Wiki. From that Wiki page you can also add your own submission.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njg5Mg

Fedora 11 Release Schedule, Along With Five Features

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njg2OQ