Re: Installing a printer: XP versus Mandriva

Vincent wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 00:54:10 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>

>> Well, I use a HP OfficeJet Pro L7590 (with duplexer unit), connected via
>> network
>>
>> It takes all of 40 seconds to
>> a) install the (networked) printer
>> b) install the (networked) scanner
>> c) install the (networked) fax
>>
>> under linux
>
> Mepis Linux found a shared HP-5700 hung off another system in the network
> and automatically installed and configured it during the Mepis initial
> install.
> It took almost a half hour to install that same printer on the Windows
> boot system on that same machine, the one the printer is physically
> connected to. Installing that printer on the physical Linux system
> involved plugging it in. That was it.

That's the thing about Linux installs and printers - the linux CUPS printer
driver interrogates other CUPS systems on the same network subnet and
automatically adds their printers to your machine if asked to, on windows
you need to manually add every needed printer.