Re: More ARM Sub-notebooks Refrences Designs (Linux Only)

unionpenny@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Ad Hominem <Linux_SUX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper schreef...

>>> Actually I consider this a wonderful development; use of
>>> cost effective ARM processor for netbook applications,
>>> breaking the Intel/Microsoft mould.
>>>
>>> There needs to be more competition in the market place
>>> with other processors and operating systems.  If they can
>>> drop the prices to below $200 US (70 GBP), I believe they
>>> will have a winner. People want value, stability, a useful
>>> appliance.  Linux coupled with cost effective hardware can
>>> provide that.
>
> The number of people that want a desktop computer is really
> rather small.  The Windows goons drone on and on about how its
> all about applications.  I think they are right.  Like you
> said, they want an appliance.  A game machine, a word
> processor, music box or WEB surfer.  Along with that they need
> a server that sits quietly in a closet to provide disk space,
> backups, connectivity.

I have seen a decline in Windows games with a focus on game
machines like Wii, Playstation3, etc.  About the only thing that
drove the Windows desktop overall is gaming.

Managing thick clients and problems thereof is staff intensive.
With the porting of desktop automation applications to access
through a browser reduces the need for a thick client.  Then, any
browser appliance can be used to access applications.  All
applications remain on the server, making updating software simple.

Inasmuch as the Wintrolls would like one to believe that the only
way for business success is the thick client, need to look again.
 In these economic times, employers are looking for ways to trim
overhead costs.  The way to economy is through "thin" clients,
browser capable blade device.  It simplifies administration,
back-up of data, security of data, etc.

More people are accessing on-line games through a browser.  No
longer is a high powered PC an absolute requirement.

> Windows is adequate at human interaction but falls flat with
> the computer side of the activity.  A windows server does not
> sit quietly.  It needs constant security updates, reboots, it
> needs a monitor and keyboard, and worst of all, it botches
> security.  Windows also has a problem on the business end of
> this market.  They need the price of the hardware to be rather
> high in order to fit the license fee into the product.  A 700
> dollar computer that does everything works out well for MS.  A
> $50 word processor appliance is out of the question for the
> Windows OS, let alone the MS-Office stuff.  Linux and Open
> Office on an ARM processor wall-wart would give MS shrieking
> fits.
>
> Desktop computers in the home and office is a fad.  Only a
> small fraction (like me) really want to, you know, _compute_
> with the thing ... write programs.  The embedded market with
> application specific devices is creeping into the desktop and
> Microsoft doesn't have much to offer there.
>
>> I stand corrected, 0,80% of *people* want Linux coupled with
>> cost effective hardware can provide that!
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2179
>
> Not sure what you are trying to say here.

It's the Rick Mather (Clogwog) troll.

> That last sentence is hard to parse.  The link you gave talks
> about desktop stuff.  The world is moving on.  Microsoft is
> very well poised to keep their dominance of the DRM ghetto of
> computing devices.  The rest will slip away.

In an office setting, unless one is dealing with audio/visual
media such as the movie and song industry, DRM is of little
concern.  Hence it is not a value added item and would be a
reasonable explanation as to a contributing factor why overall,
industry has not embraced Vista.

In the home setting, I would be concerned with devices refusing
to play ripped CD tracks from CD's I have legally purchased.  I
would not want to buy electronic, having the media limited to
only one device of mine to play.  Then if the company that sells
me the electronic tracks bellies up or discontinues selling or
support my device, then I am permanently screwed.

(Microsoft did this a couple years ago.  My daughter was
purchasing tunes from the Microsoft store for her Creative Zen
MP3 Player, an earlier non "Plays for Sure" (PFS) version.
Shortly after they started PFS, manufacturers jumped on the
bandwagon.  Then Microsoft abandoned it all for Zune, leaving
users abandoned.)

After all, I can take a CD, plug it into a CD player, PC, Mac,
DVD player, and it will play.  I do not take kindly to it only
playing on a registered device of mine, and all other uses, mine
personal is considered a DRM violation.  I also do not take
kindly to a ripped CD track image being considered illegal by
some set of software.

Thus, XP will most likely be my last Microsoft operating system
for home use.  There have been enough advances with Linux, it
does everything my XP partition does, the only thing that has
kept me with XP is some of the real time war strategy games.  As
more games are offered in Linux will obviate the need for XP.

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati