[News] [Rival] MS Anti-Linux Conference Goes Under an "Open Source" Banner

MSCOSCONF

,----[ Quote ]
| Apache not good enough?
| The official website of MSCOSCONF is running on IIS. IIS is a proprietary
| product. The majority of websites on the web runs a fully fledged Open Source
| product called Apache as a webserver. When queried on why the mscosconf
| website is running on IIS, there were rumours that the front facing IIS just
| a "proxy" however. The other rumour was that it was because one of the
| sponsors only have Windows machines to host the website. Whatever the case,
| this is strange because the community have offered to sponsor the hosting of
| the website with a certified freedom stack.
|
| This fortunately can be resolved easily in the future.
|
| The Microsoft "Competition"
| Its great that Microsoft has been playing a significant role in terms of
| sponsorship for this event. Their efforts in publicity and community
| relations have been positive, together with their support for the foss.my 08
| event.
|
| What is interesting is that they are currently sponsoring a competition which
| sports a RM10,000 prize in the porting of popular PHP webapps which currently
| exist on a completely free stack, to a completely closed stack. Yes, the
| purpose of the competition is to port webapps which run using Linux, Apache,
| MySQL, PHP (LAMP) to Microsoft Windows, Microsoft IIS and Microsoft SQL
| Server, PHP (WIMP). This contest was a misnomer and spun as LAMP2WIN, as
| should be more accurately called LAMP2WIMP.
|
| This to me is a bizarre requirement and totally goes against the philosophy
| of what an Open Source competition should be. I'm not sure what rationale was
| during the design of the competition, but this could have been easily
| designed with a more "Free" objective.
|
| [...]
|
| For example, and ironically, the "Sponsorship Prospectus" (amongst others)
| which has the purpose of wooing potential sponsors to promote open source, is
| written and published using Microsoft Office 2007.  It may seem like a normal
| business decision to use whatever tools they are familiar with, but to us
| freetards, it seems rather distasteful. Also they need a better copywriter in
| their social media alerts.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2009/05/mscosconf.html

They did it in Japan too. Same type of competition.

Recent:

How to Hijack an EU Open Source Strategy Paper

,----[ Quote ]
| Others as in Microsoft and mates.
|
| All-in-all, the modifications to the document provide a fascinating insight
| into how lobbyists operate in their attempt to neuter threats to their
| constituencies through the shameless evisceration and outright inversion of
| content. Fortunately, when the final strategy document comes out, we will be
| able to pinpoint exactly where ACT's agenda has been inserted. Of course,
| before then we need to make the above document as widely known as possible,
| so that the relevant people at the European Union are aware of what's going
| on, and maybe even take action to prevent this gross distortion of the
| paper's purpose.
|
| In addition, we must ensure that Wikileaks can continue to provide its
| invaluable service. The world of openness – including open source - would be
| the poorer without it. To that end, we need to support its current call for
| funds to help it carry on its work, and I urge you to make a donation,
| however modest.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/how-hijack-eu-open-source-strategy-paper

European Commission OSS Strategy Draft, Mar 2009

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/European_Commission_OSS_Strategy_Draft%2C_Mar_2009