[News] Intellectual Monopolies an Enemy of Innovation

Copyright Needs Limits, As It Restricts Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| The ultimate irony is that when innovators follow the law and license content
| as they have through a "creative commons" license, they are criticized as
| opponents of copyright. Such a view ignores the numerous successes by the
| army of content lobbyists, and the fact that those who occasionally oppose
| their excesses, like technology innovators, are less interested and reliant
| on lobbying and more dependent on free market forces.
`----

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gary-shapiro/copyright-needs-limits-as_b_208064.html

Gary Shapiro: The Copyright Lobby Is Restricting Innovation And It Needs To
Stop

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090528/0313165042.shtml

Recent:

Research on Copyright and Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| So, in that context, I’ve released my research report as a working paper in
| the Social Science Research Network’s online repository of scholarly works. I
| haven’t yet had a chance to read the Conference Board’s reports as closely as
| I plan to over the coming days, but I’ll be curious to see how the reports
| align with my own research on the links between IP and innovation, and with
| my independent policy recommendations.
`----

http://www.jeremydebeer.ca/content/view/254/2/

Intellectual Monopoly is an Unnecessary Evil

,----[ Quote ]
| In a rush to stimulate the economy, the Obama administration is touting
| various "visionary" plans to make the American economy more progressive, more
| innovative, and more forward-looking by subsidizing politically-motivated
| projects like "green" technology. These hands-on policies will be
| ineffective. Recent research suggests that a much more effective way to
| accomplish the same goals would be to eliminate intellectual monopoly and to
| reduce the regulatory burdens on innovators.
|
| According to conventional wisdom in economics, temporary monopoly
| rights--patents--are necessary to give people incentives to come up with
| newer, better ideas. After all, if people who came up with new ideas could
| see those new ideas copied without cost by competitors, why bother spending
| the time and energy? Hence, we have patents.
|
| [...]
|
| Progress is also slowed by the regulation of food and drugs, which requires
| years of extensive and expensive testing before a drug can be approved for
| sale. This means that some lives are saved because people are restricted to
| hyper-safe drugs, but the lives saved come at the cost of lives that are lost
| because the appearance of these drugs on the market is delayed. Further,
| other drugs that would be useful but might carry greater risks never make it
| to the market to begin with.
`----

http://blog.mises.org/archives/010014.asp

Microsoft Product Improvement Is Not Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/04/microsoft_produ.html