[News] Further Opening up of Web Services

Baby Steps: Zappos.com's Switch to Drupal Content Management

,----[ Quote ]
| Dries Buytaert, founder of Drupal, has a post up on how Zappos, an e-commerce
| web site with more than $1 billion in annual revenues, is using Drupal. The
| Drupal.org site also has a case study up about how Zappos uses Drupal, which
| illustrates how flexible a platform it really is, and provides a lesson in
| how many sites using expensive proprietary CMS solutions could gradually
| transition to the many open source alternatives.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/baby-steps-zappos-coms-switch-to-drupal-content-management

Is Amazon Going to Open Source its Web Services and Cloud APIs?

,----[ Quote ]
| Although it's only a rumor, Reuven Cohen reports hearing from more than one
| source that Amazon intends to open source its (AWS) Web Services APIs. "Word
| is Amazon's legal team is currently 'investigating' open sourcing their
| various web services API's including EC2, S3, etc," he writes. Cohen argues
| that the move would make a lot of sense, and I agree. Although Amazon's APIs
| are, as Cohen writes, "the de facto standards" in cloud computing, Amazon
| faces significant threats from open source cloud computing efforts if it
| pursues a purely proprietary path.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/is-amazon-going-to-open-source-its-web-services-and-cloud-apis

Recent:

Drupal is a Webware 100 winner for the third year in a row

,----[ Quote ]
| Drupal is a Webware 100 winner for the third year in a row. This year Drupal
| was in the Social & Publishing category with well known services including
| MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, and Wordpress.com. Drupal was one of 10 winners
| in the category.
`----

http://drupal.org/Drupal-2009-webware-100-winner

Drupal CMS founder, Dries Buytaert Interview

,----[ Quote ]
| We were very pleased to have a chance to interview Dries Buytaert, founder of
| the legendary Drupal content management system. He shares his thoughts on its
| success, future and how it came to be in this intriguing and indepth
| discussion. We had so many questions, that we are only publishing part one
| while he works on the second half. Here you go.
`----

http://cmscritic.com/drupal-cms-founder-dries-buytaert-interview

Drupal 6 Content Management System To Soon Run 240,000 Sites

,----[ Quote ]
| Dries Buytaert, founder of the Drupal content management system, and
| co-founder of Acquia (which offers a commercially supported version of
| Drupal), is out with some remarkable statistics, here, and here. If you're
| unfamiliar with Drupal, it is a powerful open source content management
| system, and OStatic runs on it, as do many other sites, including Fast
| Company and The Onion. According to the latest data from Dries, based on the
| growth of the platform, there will be over 240,000 sites running on Drupal 6
| by January of 2010, and that's up from fewer than 5,000 in July of 2008. Here
| are some more milestones for Drupal.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/drupal-6-content-management-system-to-soon-run-240-000-sites

Dries Buytaert's rules for creating a great community

,----[ Quote ]
| At OSBC last week I saw a great presentation by Dries Buytaert on how to
| build community. Dries is the founder of Drupal. The slides for his
| presentation (20 MB) include "Dries' 7 secrets" which I'll write about here.
|
| Dries started out by showing us how the Drupal community really is a
| community excited about Drupal. He had pictures of people carrying around
| cutouts of people that couldn't attend a conference, hand made Drupal socks,
| Drupal cookies, etc.
`----

http://www.stormyscorner.com/2009/04/dries-buytaerts-rules-for-creating-a-great-community.html

Drupalcon: Drupal Adds Install Tools, Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Drupal announced easy installation tools, named Acquia Stack Installer, that
| bypass much of the command-line steps a Drupal installation traditionally
| required.
`----

http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Drupalcon:_Drupal_Adds_Install_Tools__Support

New CEO, New Drupal CMS Offerings for Acquia

,----[ Quote ]
| Acquia launched a year ago with $7 million in venture capital with the aim of
| providing a commercially supported version of Drupal. Since then, Acquia's
| release of Drupal includes the core CMS components while adding in additional
| modules and testing.

Michael Jackson using Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| Not only is there a new tour, but MichaelJackson.com, the official site for
| fans of the King of Pop, has just re-launched, featuring some new
| community-oriented features and some old-school graphics from back in the
| day. MichaelJackson.com was built using Drupal by the good folks at Sony
| Music. They are also using Mollom to protect against comment and forum post
| spam. Moonwalks!
`----

http://buytaert.net/michael-jackson-using-drupal

Open source video module for Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| "With more than 15,000 sites already using our solutions and hundreds of new
| ones every day, it is clear that our open source platform is filling a void
| in the online video space," said Ron Yekutiel, Kaltura Chairman and CEO.
`----

http://www.idm.net.au/story.asp?id=16460

Acquia Joins Red Hat Exchange Bringing Social Publishing Expertise to the Open
Source Ecosystem

,----[ Quote ]
| Acquia, provider of the commercially supported distribution of the popular
| Drupal social publishing system, today announced that it has been selected to
| join the Red Hat Exchange (RHX), the trusted open source software and partner
| network managed by Red Hat. RHX is a program focused on helping organizations
| of all sizes access the benefits of software solutions that are powered by
| open source.

Building Online Success With Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| Times have changed. Open source, or community-based, software is now readily
| available. Achieve Internet is an expert in building Web sites using Drupal,
| Huber said, referring to an open source product developed by a Belgian
| considered to be a superstar in software.
|
| "There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of sites built on Drupal,"
| Huber said.

Drupal wins 2008 Best PHP Open Source CMS from Packt Publishing

,----[ Quote ]
| For the third year in a row, Drupal has been nominated for a Packt Publishing
| Open Source CMS award. Packt Publishing is announcing winners all week. Today
| they announced the 2008 best PHP open source CMS.
`----

http://drupal.org/2008-best-php-open-source-cms-award-packtpub

Drupal 6.5 and 5.11 released

,----[ Quote ]
| Drupal 6.5 and Drupal 5.11, maintenance releases fixing problems reported
| using the bug tracking system, as well as critical security vulnerabilities,
| are now available for download.
`----

http://drupal.org/drupal-6.5

Open-source Drupal turns pro

,----[ Quote ]
| The standard Drupal core already has decent management, but several Acquia
| network modules, installed during setup, take administration a few steps
| further. These enable your Acquia Drupal installation to communicate securely
| with the Acquia Network and exchange configuration, operation, and profile
| information.
|
| A big part of what you're paying for with Acquia Drupal is support; the
| portal offers a simple way to log support incidents and track your tickets.
| During my testing, Acquia did meet the specified response deadline — and
| resolved my questions satisfactorily.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/0AA6687FABA84484CC2574E7007C3ECA

Acquia Expands Technical Team