[News] eBook Readers Still a Linux Turf

Light, low-cost e-reader runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| A U.K. startup called Interead will soon ship a Linux-based e-book reader
| claimed to be about 40 percent lighter than an Amazon Kindle 2, and over $100
| cheaper. The "Cool-er" is equipped with a 400MHz ARM9 Samsung processor and a
| six-inch E-Ink Vizplex display.

Hands On: New Cool-er E-Book Reader Turns Up the Heat

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the light weight and thin form factor, the finish on the device isn’t
| tacky–though it does have a ‘plasticky’ feel to it.  The Cool-er runs a Linux
| operating system and has a 1GB storage card slot.
|
| [...]
|
| Interead is also hoping to strike deals with retailers. If successful, the
| company could further get the kind of volumes that it needs to drop prices
| down to $200. The company is also open to working with software develops to
| create apps for the device which runs the Linux OS and launch an iPhone-like
| app store for the Cool-er.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/cool-er-e-book-reader-turns-up-the-heat/

Is this Cool-er than Amazon's Kindle?

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazon's Kindle runs GNU/Linux, which is no surprise given its suitability
| for these kind of consumer systems. The Kindle is fast establishing itself as
| the leading ebook platform, so, at first blush, that might seem unalloyed
| good news for free software.
|
| Sadly, though, Amazon has also proved that it is no great friend of freedom -
| first, by embracing DRM for its books, and secondly, by cravenly disabling
| the text-to-speech capability because The Authors' Guild has
| eighteenth-century ideas of what copyright is about.
|
| [...]
|
| Here's one, with the rather hubristic name of Cool-er, which has the bonus of
| being British (although it doesn't seem available here yet).
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/05/is-this-cool-er-than-amazons-kindle.html

Kindle owners start to lose text-to-speech on purchased books -- how do
DRM-free Kindle books work?

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/05/14/kindle-owners-start.html

$200 E-book Reader set to Make its Debut

,----[ Quote ]
| It runs Linux operating system and unlike the Amazon Kindle has no wireless
| capability.  BeBook like most of its rivals uses the E Ink display.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/04/200-e-book-reader-set-to-make-its-debut/

E-Book Reader Roundup: Samsung's Papyrus Joins the Crowd

,----[ Quote ]
| Hanlin eReader
|
| The e-book reader from Chinese company Tianjin Jinke Electronics was released
| in 2007. Featurewise there may not be much to differentiate it from its
| peers. It has all the basics: a 6-inch display, 32-MB SDRAM and support for
| the usual text, docs and images. It runs Linux OS but has no wireless
| capability. The Hanlin eReader is available under different brand names, such
| as BeBook in Netherlands.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/03/samsungs-new-e.html

Calibre: A Good, Free Open Source eBook App

,----[ Quote ]
| You'll find a list of Calibre's features here, and there is a User Manual,
| and a Tips and Tricks collection. You can access ebooks with it from your
| browser via a View button, or sync your books to ebook reader devices and
| convert them to ePub, MOBI, or LRF formats. You can also fetch metadata with
| it, for book cover art, summaries of the content in books, etc.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/calibre-a-good-free-open-source-ebook-app

Make ebooks pretty with GutenMark

,----[ Quote ]
| Project Gutenberg is a real treasure trove for bookworms and casual readers
| alike, but turning etext files into a readable form is not as easy as it may
| seem. In theory, since etexts are just plain text files, you should be able
| to open and read them on any platform without any tweaking. In practice,
| however, this approach rarely works. Hard line breaks, for example, ruin the
| text flow, making it virtually impossible to read the book on a mobile
| device. Another problem is that most books are stored as single files, so
| locating a particular chapter or section in a lengthy book can quickly become
| a serious nuisance. Then there are minor, but still annoying formatting
| quirks, such as inconsistent handling of italicized text, use of straight
| quotes instead of smart ones, and so on.
`----

http://linuxbeacon.com/doku.php/articles:gutenmark

Linux dominates in Amazon Kindle competitors

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux runs on the first e-book reader released this year ... and on the
| second ... and the third.
`----

http://apcmag.com/2009s-first-e-book-reader-runs-on-linux.htm

Ultra-light ebook reader runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| PDF software company Foxit is readying an electronic book reader that weighs
| 6.4 ounces, measures 0.4 inches thick, and runs Linux. The Foxit eSlick
| offers E Ink's low-power electronic-paper display, ships with an MP3 player,
| and sells for $100 less than an Amazon Kindle.

New eBook Reader Undercuts Kindle, Sony Reader Prices

,----[ Quote ]
| Available in black, gray, or white, the device will have 128MB of internal
| memory, plus USB and an SD Card slot (it'll come with a 2GB card, too).
| Because its screen draws very little power, battery life should be extremely
| long; Foxit says it'll go for 8,000 page turns between recharges; it
| recharges via either USB or an included AC adapter. It uses an embedded Linux
| operating system, too.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155746/new_ebook_reader_undercuts_kindle_sony_reader_prices.html

10 Linux-powered E-book Readers

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux just keeps popping up on many of the popular gadgets that are hogging
| the limelight nowadays. Some are quite conspicuous about it, like the Android
| phone that is being developed by a group that makes it very obvious, calling
| themselves the Open Handset Alliance. However, there are some that don't
| flaunt Linux around, like the Amazon Kindle. Not that they have to, but well,
| allow me to do it for them here anyway.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/11/10-linux-powered-e-book-readers.html

Linux Journal Live - eBook Readers and DRM

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/video/linux-journal-live-ebook-readers-and-drm