[News] MAFIAA Attacks Children, Professor Accuses MAFIAA of Abusing the Law

Will The RIAA Shut Down Public School Kids From Singing Pop Songs On YouTube?

,----[ Quote ]
| Dave Title points our attention to a public elementary school in New York
| City (PS22) that is making news for putting together a chorus that sings
| various pop songs (and sings them well!).
|
| [...]
|
| But, of course, Title wonders how the RIAA feels about all of this:
|
|     However, this seems like a video ripe for takedown by the RIAA. These
|     kids did not get the rights to perform this song and they are now
|     spreading their cover for free! This is just the sort of activity the
|     record industry seems to keen on stopping - whether it is a chorus of
|     school-kids or a couple of people doing a karaoke version of the latest
|     Beyonce tune.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090527/0253005023.shtml

Harvard Prof Calls RIAA Lawsuits “Unconstitutional Abuse of Law”

,----[ Quote ]
| Charles Nesson writes an op-ed piece explaining why RIAA lawsuits targeting
| file-sharers is an abuse of the legal process, and that the real problem is
| the tension between “our antiquated copyright laws and the social reality
| of ‘digital natives,’” those that have grown up immersed in a digital world.
`----

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/86315/harvard-prof-calls-riaa-lawsuits-unconstitutional-abuse-of-law/

Recent:

The RIAA vs. 19 Year Old Cancer Patient

,----[ Quote ]
| Among the RIAA's latest targets in its campaign to sue its customer base into
| submission is a 19-year-old cancer patient. Ciaro Sauro was ruled a music
| pirate after failing to defend herself in court against charges from the RIAA
| that she was sharing music files online. Ms. Sauro has said she couldn't
| defend herself as she is hospitalized once a week, and vehemently denies the
| allegations that she is a pirate.
`----

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/entertainment/2009/3/26/the_riaa_vs_19_year_old.htm

RIAA Sued For Racketeering Yet Again

,----[ Quote ]
| A few people have filed lawsuits against the RIAA for racketeering in the
| past, though these charges have always been dismissed. In one such case,
| where the filed charges were dismissed over the summer, new claims were filed
| again charging the RIAA with racketeering for extortion, mail fraud and wire
| fraud in its ongoing efforts involving weakly supported threats against
| alleged file sharers demanding money to avoid being sued.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081121/1203512916.shtml

RIAA lied to the US Congress

,----[ Quote ]
| In April the RIAA told US lawmakers that it was not going to chase individual
| file-sharers any more and was going to stop dragging grannies, homeless
| people and kids into court using dodgy evidence obtained by methods that
| seemed to break some state laws.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137039/riaa-lied-us-congress

RIAA: "we have no choice" but to file more named lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/05/riaa-we-have-no-choice-but-to-file-more-named-lawsuits.ars