[News] Programming with Free Software and the Internet is the Way Forward

Sunspot: A Solr-Powered Search Engine for Ruby

,----[ Quote ]
| As your site amasses content — be it stories, SKUs, or statistics — a
| tailored, effective, and exacting search engine becomes increasingly vital.
| Imagine a bookstore that doesn’t index its tomes by title or author, or a
| clothing retailer that doesn’t index garments by size. Without search, each
| site is useless. In general, the quality and relevance of search results
| makes or breaks a site.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7341

Google: The internet is 'the right programming model'

,----[ Quote ]
| Just five years ago, Vic Gundotra argued that web apps could never rival
| their desktop brethren. But that's when he worked for Microsoft. He works for
| Google now. And he sees things quite differently.
|
| In 2004, Gundotra and his Microsoft team - responsible for driving developers
| to Windows - pointed to an application called Keyhole as a prime example of
| the sort of desktop goodness that could never be duplicated on the web. Then
| Google bought Keyhole, a Windows app that stitched satellite photos into a
| pan-and-zoom-able virtual landscape, and within months, it turned the app
| into a web service.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/28/google_on_web_development/

Recent:

At Google I/O: Good News for Web Developers, and Android Apps

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/at-google-i-o-good-news-for-web-developers-and-android-apps