[News] Benchmarks of the Next Release of Linux (Kernel Space)

Linux 2.6.30 Kernel Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| With the Linux 2.6.30 kernel being prepped for release in early June, we have
| set out to provide a few benchmarks of this latest Linux kernel to see how it
| compares to its two earlier predecessors. While this new kernel may offer
| support for new file-systems (NILFS2, in particular), support for LZMA/BZIP2
| kernel image compression, a new CPU architecture (Microblaze) and many other
| changes, are there any major performance regressions or improvements like we
| have spotted with our previous Linux kernel benchmarks?
|
| [...]
|
| While this round of kernel testing was brief with just three kernels and
| eleven tests, it does seem that particularly when it comes to disk operations
| there are improvements with the Linux 2.6.30 kernel, which should not come as
| a surprise. There were also a few performance regressions, however. Beyond
| that the tests show few other changes with this kernel upgrade. If you would
| like to run your own Linux kernel benchmarks, try out the Phoronix Test
| Suite, which is our open-source software that will allow you to run and
| automate almost any test on Linux, OpenSolaris, *BSD, and Mac OS X operating
| systems.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2630&num=1

Walsh: Introducing the SELinux Sandbox

,----[ Quote ]
| Dan Walsh and Eric Paris have been working on an SELinux "sandbox" which
| Walsh describes on his weblog. The basic idea is to use SELinux to restrict
| the kinds of actions a user application can perform. This would allow users
| to run untrusted programs or handle untrusted input in a more secure manner.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/334737/

Recent:

Linux 2.6.30-rc7

,----[ Quote ]
| Ok, so 90% of the patch is the addition of one new driver, at around 9000
| lines for the the Cisco PCI-Express FCoE HBA SCSI driver.
|
| If you ignore that (and you should - unless you happen to have such hardware
| and have been pining for the driver to be merged for a long  time), the rest
| is really mostly a collection of small fixes. Several  regressions fixed,
| lots of small cleanup.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/5/23/121

Linux 2.6.30-rc6

,----[ Quote ]
| Things definitely are calming down, with just about 300 commits in the last
| week. And most of them are pretty small too, although the powerpc updates
| brought some defconfig changes that look largish.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/5/16/3

Linux 2.6.30-rc5

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been a week (and a couple of days - what can I say?), so here's a
| new  -rc.
|
| It's been getting quieter, although by -rc5 I obviously always hope for not
| just "pretty quiet" but "almost deathly quiet", and it never is.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/5/8/505

Kernel Log: What's coming in 2.6.30 - File systems: New and revamped file
systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The patches adopted in Linux 2.6.30 introduce many significant changes
| affecting data security and Ext3 and Ext4 performance. Support for the EXOFS
| and NILFS2 file systems is new, as is the cache for the AFS and NFS network
| file systems. There are also a few fixes for the almost forgotten ReiserFS
| file system.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Kernel-Log-What-s-coming-in-2-6-30-File-systems-New-and-revamped-file-systems--/news/113157

Exciting changes in the 2.6.30 Linux kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| Every Linux kernel release has interesting changes but 2.6.30 really stands
| out to me as having a lot of features I would like to take advantage. In
| 2.6.29 the only really great feature to me was the inclusion of barrier
| support for simple DM devices. It’s only 1 change but an important one in my
| opinion as it will allow an increase in either performance or reliability for
| LVM and dm-crypt devices. But 2.6.30 has a lot of changes that I am likely to
| take advantage of such as:
|
|     *  The addition of nilfs - I’ve tested nilfs and I am happy to see it
|     adopted. I’ve run into problems using it but would like to see it become
|     stable. It seems likely to beat btrfs as the first stable Linux disk
|     filesystem with snapshots.

http://hightechsorcery.com/2009/04/exciting-changes-2630-linux-kernel

Ext3 ‘data=guarded’ mode coming for Linux kernel 2.6.30?

,----[ Quote ]
| There were some patches from Theodore T’so - the Ext4 maintainer, Jens
| Axboe - the block layer maintainer, Chris Mason - the Btrfs developer et al.
| An overview of the discussion can be found at LWN.net, here.
`----

http://rajeeshknambiar.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/ext3-dataguarded-mode-coming-for-linux-kernel-2630/

Linux Supports More Filesystems With 2.6.30-rc1

,----[ Quote ]
| Two weeks have passed since the release of the Linux 2.6.29 kernel that
| brought Intel kernel mode-setting, the Btrfs file-system, and many other
| improvements to the Linux kernel. Now though the first release candidate for
| the forthcoming Linux 2.6.30 kernel is now out in the wild.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzE5MA

Kernel Log: Development of 2.6.30 is under way

,----[ Quote ]
| Shortly after the release of Linux 2.6.29 last Tuesday, the kernel subsystem
| developers began to prepare the first changes to be merged into the main
| development branch for Linux 2.6.30. This is usually done by sending a "Git
| pull request" – an email which includes the URL to a Git tree with the
| proposed changes as well as a diffstat and a list of individual patches – not
| only to Linus Torvalds, but usually also to the LKML (Linux Kernel Mailing
| List). Often, the maintainer of the subsystem starts the email with a short
| summary of the proposed changes, highlighting the most important ones, or
| putting the changes into context.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Kernel-Log-Development-of-2-6-30-is-under-way--/news/112944

Kernel Log: What's coming in 2.6.30 - Storage: RAID improvements, optimised CFQ
Scheduler, SAS drivers

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Kernel-Log-What-s-coming-in-2-6-30-Storage-RAID-improvements-optimised-CFQ-Scheduler-SAS-drivers--/news/113302