[News] Filmmaker About New organisation Around Free Software, Filmaster Embraces FOSS

  • Subject: [News] Filmmaker About New organisation Around Free Software, Filmaster Embraces FOSS
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 21:10:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Creating FOSS Allies Through Volunteerism

,----[ Quote ]
| In the response to the current economic climate, President Barack Obama has
| issued a call for volunteerism. Now is a good time for “penguinistas”
| and “GNUsters” to heed that call and volunteer to be part of a team focused
| on moving just one institution such as a school to FOSS. It is often
| difficult work, but that difficulty can be an advantage for the FOSS
| community.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/case-studies/11700-creating-foss-allies-through-volunteerism

Filmaster: free and open social network for movie buffs with reviews and
recommendations

,----[ Quote ]
| Filmaster is a new social network for film buffs that features personalized
| content and recommendations. What makes it special is that it is an open
| service: both code and content is free as in freedom.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/gnu/filmaster-free-and-open-social-network-for-movie-buffs-with-recommendations/

Recent:

Volunteer-run Open Source Bridge Already Attracting Open Source Luminaries:
Inaugural Event Focuses on the Culture of Being an "Open Source Citizen"

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source Bridge is a new, entirely volunteer-run conference designed to
| increase collaboration throughout the open source community. Participants
| will range from those who work deep in the open source stack to those who
| work on the Open Web. It will be held in Portland, Oregon, June 17-19, 2009.
| Ward Cunningham, father of the wiki; Kurt von Finck, Communications Manager
| for Monty Program AB; and Portland Mayor Sam Adams have already been named as
| initial keynote presenters for the conference.
`----

http://www.prweb.com/releases/open-source/conferences/prweb2260224.htm

Helping the Needy Get Nerdy

,----[ Quote ]