[News] Palm Should Bring Its Linux-based OS to Large Devices

The Ultimate Tablet: On Palm's webOS?

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm? But they haven’t even shipped a single device yet! Isn’t Android the
| more logical platform for this?
|
| Yes, and no. While Google is making great strides with its version 1.5
| Cupcake release of its Android software, which is Linux-based like the Palm
| webOS, in the end it is acting as a software company providing an Open Source
| platform for other companies to do the heavy lifting of marketing and device
| development — a similar strategy to one that that Palm once tried with
| PalmSource, licensing its classic Palm OS software to companies like SONY,
| Samsung, Qualcomm, Symbol Technologies and TRG/Handera which produced PalmOS
| PDAs such as the CLIÉ and the TRGPro.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=10139

Recent:

Palm Could Be Working on a webOS-Based Netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm is going release an inexpensive laptop running its new webOS, if an
| unconfirmed report from an industry analyst is correct.
|
| The webOS is going to debut soon on the Palm Pre, a smartphone being released
| by Sprint. But Trip Chowdhry from Global Equities Research says Palm is also
| working on a netbook that will run this same operating system.
`----

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=15188&news=Palm+Netbook+webOS

Palm’s Foleo may rise from the dead with WebOS

http://www.gizhq.com/2009/05/02/palms-foleo-may-rise-from-the-dead-with-webos/

Palm Foleo: Not such a dumb concept after all?

,----[ Quote ]
| If the sudden rush into subnotebooks by major PC vendors is any indication,
| it's worth considering whether Palm's Foleo wasn't such a lame idea.
|
| Photos of a subnotebook from Hewlett-Packard, reportedly called the HP Compaq
| 2133, showed up on the Web recently. And another major PC vendor, Acer, is
| also rumored to be entering the subnotebook fray sometime soon.
|
| [...]
|
| Not coincidentally, the impetus for HP's experimentation in this category was
| its concern over the very low price tag Asus was able to stick on the Eee PC.
| Selling the mini-notebook at $399, even if it's a secondary PC and runs
| Linux, gives it a serious chance to further chip away at the
| already-declining average selling prices for notebook PCs. (The 2133 from HP
| will have an entry level model priced at $499, and will have a Via processor,
| we're told.)
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9875451-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Palm Says Foleo 2 Still on Track

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm FoleoAccording to the Wireless Week industry trade journal, a new
| version of the cancelled Foleo Mobile Companion running on Palm's
| next-generation Linux OS is still very much in Palm’s future product plans...
`----

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8197/palm-says-foleo-2-still-on-track/

Palm Looking For Linux Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| The success of the 2.5-pound device — which turns on and off instantly, touts
| an easy-to-use interface and promises five hours of battery life — could
| depend on how programmers react to it this week at the LinuxWorld conference
| in San Francisco.
`----

http://www.investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=17&artnum=2&issue=20070806

Palm Foleo with Linux threatens the Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| The Palm Foleo is joining a list of MID (Mobile Internet Devices) like the
| Nokia N800 and Asus Eee that use a lightweight version of Linux but the main
| advantage of the Foleo is its instant on feature.  While traditional “Linux”
| may be too difficult for the average user to handle, these highly integrated
| implementations of Linux have no problem being adopted by the masses.  That
| could pose a problem for Microsoft in the long run if these devices ever get
| widespread adoption.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=562

Palm Foleo First Thoughts

,----[ Quote ]
| If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video should be worth a
| whole volume. That's why Brian Beeler and I recorded a brief video
| overview of the Foleo, which will hopefully give you a better idea of
| what it will be like to use the first mobile companion yourself.
`----

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13139

Pair of Palm ISVs promise Foleo ports

,----[ Quote ]
| Two ISVs (independent software vendors) have announced plans to port
| their commercial applications to Palm's forthcoming Linux- and
| ARM-based miniature laptop.

Live from LinuxWorld: the Palm Foleo

,----[ Quote ]
| Currently, developers can build apps for the device by signing up with the
| Palm Developer Network; one of the guys at the stand told me that a free SDK
| should be available later on. Unfortunately, the Palm folks haven’t built an
| X server for the machine yet, so porting graphical programs could be out the
| question. That said, with only 128MB RAM, you wouldn’t want to be running
| OpenOffice.org on this thing anyway...
`----

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=322?fromrss=1

Palm Foleo: the exclusive first and final hands-on

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/27/palm-foleo-the-exclusive-first-and-final-hands-on/