[News] Richard Stallman's Vision of Sharing Inspires Many

RMS and His Magic Bread

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine that you are in a world where people are starving. Imagine you have
| some bread, and you were confronted with starving people: most would feel a
| compulsion to share that bread. But imagine now that you had RMS's special
| kind of bread that could be eaten once or a million times: how much greater
| would the duty to share that bread with the hungry be? And how much more
| despicable would the person who refused to share that bread be?
|
| Translate this now to the realm of ideas. We are surrounded by people hungry
| for knowledge, and we do possess that magic bread - digital copies of
| knowledge that can be shared infinitely without diminishing it. Do we not
| have a similar moral duty to share that magic bread of digital knowledge with
| all those that hunger for it?
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/05/rms-and-his-magic-bread.html

Even warfare studies from Free software ideals.

Wired For War or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Let Dystopian SF Movies
Inspire our Military Bots

,----[ Quote ]
| PWS: The way I think about it is this -- just like software, warfare is going
| open source. That is, we're starting to use more and more systems that are
| commercial, off-the-shelf -- some of it is even DIY. You can build your own
| version of the Raven drone, which is a widely used military drone, for about
| $1,000 dollars. So we have a flattening of the landscape of war and
| technology that is just like what happened in software. A wide variety of
| actors can utilize these systems.
`----

http://www.hplusmagazine.com/articles/robotics/wired-war-or-how-we-learned-stop-worrying-and-let-dystopian-sf-movies-inspire-our-

Days ago:

GNU'S NOT UNIX - Richard Stallman with BYTE editors, July 1986

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.fsdaily.com/blog/gnus-not-unix-richard-stallman-byte-editors-july-1986