[News] Gnote Founder Runs for Board of Directors of GNOME

Candidates for the GNOME Foundation 2009 Elections

,----[ Quote ]
| Below you will find a list of candidates who are running for the GNOME
| Foundation Board of Directors. A short summary statement from each candidate
| and a link to their full candidacy announcement is provided to help you learn
| more about them.
|
| [...]
|
| 5. Hubert Figuiere
|
| Affiliation: None
| Full statement at
| http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2009-May/msg00035.html
|
|     I have been involved with Free Software for a decade or so, mostly
|     working on the application side: AbiWord, gnote, etc. I have attended
|     several
|     Free Software conferences as resources permitted and given talk on
|     several occasion. I have a true faith in GNOME and what it brings to
|     users of Free Software, and I truly believe that's where the future is.
`----

http://foundation.gnome.org/elections/2009/candidates.html

Recent:

Tomboy, Gnote, and the limits of forks

,----[ Quote ]
| Some people have complained about its faults for a while; Hubert Figuiere,
| instead, chose to do something about it in the form of the Gnote utility.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/331187/

Gnote vs Tomboy and complete Mono removal

,----[ Quote ]
| Has many of you may know, a new project has gotten a lot of attention lately
| in the Linux world. That project’s name is Gnote.  Gnote is an experimental
| port of Tomboy to C++, it’s the same note taking application, minus things
| not done yet, including panel applet, boatload of addins and synchronization,
| but just be patient and you will have a full port of Tomboy soon.
|
| Today I’ve decided to give Gnote a try and install it on my system, I used
| the unofficial Gnote PPA for Ubuntu provided by Vadim Peretokin, at the
| moment it still hasn’t been updated to the latest version of Gnote, but I’m
| sure it will soon. My first impressions were good, it loaded a lot faster
| than Tomboy, 2.324 seconds versus the 0.280 seconds of Gnote and it was also
| three times lighter than Tomboy, maybe because of all of the Mono bloat that
| Tomboy depends on…
`----

http://trmanco.com/2009/05/01/gnote-vs-tomboy-and-complete-mono-removal.trm

Things to Avoid on Ubuntu