[News] [Rival] Windows Vista So Horrible That Microsoft Wants it Buried

Rumors of Vista's Demise Should Be Greatly Accelerated

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows 7 is looking better and better as it gets closer to release. Analysts
| like Gartner are stating the obvious, telling businesses to avoid Vista and
| go directly to Windows 7. Microsoft should go even further, though, and take
| measures to ensure that Vista disappears as quickly as possible.

Microsoft to users: Don’t switch to Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| In short, Microsoft is finally telling you what I’ve been telling you all
| along: Vista is junk.
| Microsoft has actually been doing this for over a year now. First, in April
| 2008, Ballmer described Vista as a “work-in-progress.” Then, he said users
| should skip Vista in favor of Windows 7 in October
| (http://blogs.computerworld.com/ballmer_says_skip_vista).
| How many times must Microsoft tell its knee-jerk fan club that Vista was a
| mistake before they get it.

The 10 Biggest Tech Failures of the Last Decade

,----[ Quote ]
| # Introduction
| # Microsoft Vista

| WINDOWS VISTA, out of the 6.403 people voting, 5.222 considered Microsoft's
| Operating System a Great Fiasco.

Worst Tech #2: Microsoft Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| We're also unhappy with how sluggish all the systems (and we mean dozens and
| dozens of notebooks) perform with Vista, whether they came with it initially
| or not (although newer systems with Intel's Next Generation Centrino
| processors help Vista press a tad harder on the gas pedal).

Vista makes the list as one of the top-10 worst consumer tech products of all

,----[ Quote ]
| Pretty bad. But top ten of all time? That's mighty impressive.

Microsoft credits Project for "Tech's all-time flop" Award

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently the InfoWorld published their list of "Tech's all-time top 25
| flops".  When the bodies were counted, the worst software flop of all time
| went to Vista.

10 Worst Tech Products of 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista: Where to begin? Vista arrived in stores months late, forced
| untold thousands of users to upgrade their hardware, made mincemeat of
| software and drivers that worked perfectly well in XP, ended up lacking many
| of the bold-faced features we'd been promised, and came saddled with new and
| annoying set of video DRM schemes. At least Vista now boasts an option for
| downgrading back to XP.

Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?

,----[ Quote ]
| We asked a simple question: what Microsoft product could have used a little
| more polish before release? The answer astounded us. We would just like to
| thank Bill Gates for his honesty and his openness.

It's Time for a Vista Do-Over

,----[ Quote ]
| I deliver my radical plan for a new Windows OS to one rather surprised
| Microsoftie.

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

The 15 Biggest Tech Disappointments of 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| #1. No Wow, No How: Windows Vista
| Five years in the making and this is the best Microsoft could do?

Microsoft tries to stop more ‘Vista-capable’ e-mails from going public

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is trying to put the kibosh on more of its internal (and
| embarassing) e-mail messages around its Vista marketing plans going public.
| [...]
| With every version of Windows, Microsoft has worked with hardware partners to
| find new ways to try to convince users they need more and more powerful
| machines to take advantage of more feature-rich software. If Microsoft and
| its partners were/are successful, it means more money in the PC makers’ and
| Microsoft’s coffers. With Vista, this pact really back-fired, as the already
| published e-mails around Vista-capable — and more, as-yet-unpublicized
| messages — will make evident.

Microsoft challenges 'Vista Capable' class action

,----[ Quote ]
| If granted, the motion would also postpone any new disclosures of potentially
| embarrassing company e-mails.

They Criticized Vista. And They Should Know.

,----[ Quote ]
| Act 1: In 2005, Microsoft plans to say that only PCs that are properly
| equipped to handle the heavy graphics demands of Vista are “Vista Ready.”
| Act 2: In early 2006, Microsoft decides to drop the graphics-related hardware
| requirement in order to avoid hurting Windows XP sales on low-end machines
| while Vista is readied. (A customer could reasonably conclude that Microsoft
| is saying, Buy Now, Upgrade Later.) A semantic adjustment is made: Instead of
| saying that a PC is “Vista Ready,” which might convey the idea that, well, it
| is ready to run Vista, a PC will be described as “Vista Capable,” which
| supposedly signals that no promises are made about which version of Vista
| will actually work.
| The decision to drop the original hardware requirements is accompanied by
| considerable internal protest. The minimum hardware configuration was set so
| low that “even a piece of junk will qualify,” Anantha Kancherla, a Microsoft
| program manager, said in an internal e-mail message among those recently
| unsealed, adding, “It will be a complete tragedy if we allowed it.”
| Act 3: In 2007, Vista is released in multiple versions, including “Home
| Basic,” which lacks Vista’s distinctive graphics. This placed Microsoft’s
| partners in an embarrassing position. Dell, which gave Microsoft a postmortem
| report that was also included among court documents, dryly
| remarked: “Customers did not understand what ‘Capable’ meant and expected
| more than could/would be delivered.”

Microsoft knew of Vista shortcoming prior to release

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

Has Vista lost all credibility?

E-mail: Microsoft 'botched' dealings with Intel, HP

,----[ Quote ]