[News] OQO Messed Up by Ignoring GNU/Linux, Dies

Should OQO Have Chosen GNU/Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| This meant that it needed higher specs than a GNU/Linux machine with similar
| performance, and a licence from Microsoft (not a cheap one either: this was
| well before the GNU/Linux netbooks persuaded Microsoft to cut some deals on
| Windows XP). Both factors pushed up its price. That, in its turn, meant that
| this neat little machine never really took off - unlike the Asus Eee PCs.
|
| The final result?
|
|     "We are sad to report that due to financial constraints, OQO is not able
|     to offer repair and service support at this time. We are deeply sorry
|     that despite our best intentions, we are unable to provide continued
|     support for our faithful customers. Please accept our sincerest
|     apologies"
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/05/should-oqo-have-chosen-gnulinux.html

Recent:

OQO might be dead

,----[ Quote ]
| WE'VE RECEIVED an email from a well placed source who said that OQO's last
| chance at flogging itself off seems destined to fail.
|
| [...]
|
| Last week the outfit ran out of cash and was looking for a white knight. The
| week before pre-orders of the OQO Model 2+ Ultramobile PC (UMPC) were
| cancelled after OQO was unable to commit to a ship date. OQO is in such dire
| financial shape that it has even halted repair and warranty services too.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/995/1051995/oqo-dead

Microsoft ditches Live Search product upload tool

,----[ Quote ]
| The firm confirmed to users that the tool, which was used by retailers to get
| their products into Microsoft’s search database, had been discontinued late
| last week.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/27/microsoft_live_search_product_upload/

Microsoft cuts CSR spend across Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Across Europe and the UK, it is thought as much as a quarter of Microsoft’s
| citizenship PR spend is being shelved. Similar cuts have been made in Asia,
| while a source said pullbacks in global and US budgets were ‘imminent’.
`----

http://www.prweek.com/uk/sectors/publicsector/article/900492/microsoft-cuts-csr-spend-across-europe/

Microsoft calls off summer picnic, cites need to reduce expenses

,----[ Quote ]
| "The big reason is to pay attention to costs," said Lou Gellos, a Microsoft
| spokesman.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Microsoft_calls_off_summer_picnic_cites_ongoing_need_to_cut_costs_43646927.html

Microsoft Cancels 2009 BI Conference, Schedules It For Every Two Years

,----[ Quote ]
| Citing the recession and cutbacks in travel budgets, Microsoft has canceled
| this year's October Microsoft BI Conference, according to a posting on the
| company's Web site blog.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/217000139;jsessionid=CNK2VEB0UQI3SQSNDLPCKHSCJUNN2JVN

Microsoft Origami site to fold by end of April

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-origami-site-to-fold-by-end-of-april-2041282/