[News] Interview with President of OSI, Michael Tiemann

Leading Voices - Michael Tiemann, Vice President of Open Source Affairs at Red
Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| This is Michael Tiemann, I am President of the Open Source Initiative and
| Vice President of Open Source Affairs at Red Hat.
|
| The IT industry is headed for its own crisis, with plenty of red flags
| visible if you bother to look, as well as a clear and simple plan to avert
| the hard landing. But, in an industry famously long on ego and short on
| humility, can we really hope for a change before these CEOs destroy their
| companies and the assets of their customers?
|
| [...]
|
| The greatest objection raised by software industry participants about Open
| Source software is that if users are free to read, modify, and share
| software, then it's not possible to extract monopoly rents. Based on what we
| have seen from the monopoly these past 10 years, I'm not really sure that is
| such a problem.
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/related_reports/business_solutions/article6318567.ece

Related:

Michael Tiemann - Subject: Torvald's is not the guy to follow here...

,----[ Quote ]
| In my opinion, anything that Microsoft does that falls short of the published
| open source minimums is...sub-minimal. Torvalds is happy because his
| standards are lower--he cares more about himself than his community. But
| other people have higher standards--we also care about the community at least
| as much as we care for ourselves.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-02-25-019-26-IN-KN-MS-0000

Michael Tiemann: Many Eyes Make All Bugs Shallow!

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Tiemann is the brain behind Cygnus, the first company to offer
| support to Linux and other assorted free software programmes. He is now
| involved in open source ‘affairs’ at the OSI. We discuss the past, present
| and the future with Tiemann in this exclusive interview.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/23300/news.htm

Microsoft not so 'open' after all?

,----[ Quote ]