Re: [News] Screenshots of Fedora 11, OLPC Victory

  this bit o' wisdom:

> Fedora 11 Screenshot Tour
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Screenshot_Tour

I recently installed Fedora (32-bit) on an older box.  The installer is
pretty sweet, though the partition scheme is different enough from Debian
that I decided to let the installer do the partitioning for me.

I haven't used it much, but there was one glitch:  I wanted to install
mrxvt, but when I used the GUI for it, it asked for the root password, and
yet wouldn't let the install proceed.

So I ended up doing "# yum install mrxvt" from the command-line.

The magazine also had the 64-bit edition on DVD, but I haven't tried that
one yet.

> OLPC goes the full Fedora
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Developer Chris Ball has announced that the upcoming OLPC XO-1.5 laptop
>| software release will be based on Fedora 11. The One Laptop Per Child (OLPC)
>| project is a non-profit organisation who's mission is to provide children
>| across the world with low cost laptops for self-education.
> `----
>
> http://www.h-online.com/open/OLPC-goes-the-full-Fedora--/news/113315

Also:

   http://www.h-online.com/open/OLPC-XO-2-may-use-ARM-based-processors--/news/112836

   According to several reports, the next version of the OLPC (XO-2) may
   stop using x86 processors and switch to ARM-based processors to improve
   battery life.

I'm all for that.  The battery runs down faster than I would have expected,
even when the machine is suspended-to-RAM.

Also at that link:

   The developers want the XO-2 to be able to dual boot Linux and a full
   Windows OS, to give users a choice. According to Nicholas Negroponte, the
   leader of the OLPC project, they are in talks with Microsoft to develop a
   full version of the Windows OS for the XO-2.

Microsoft will, of course, eventually subvert that area of the market, too.
You can count on it.

--
Don't look back, the lemmings are gaining on you.