[News] Copyrights War Fought by the Free Software Foundation

Why the free software community cares about The Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| We are currently living in a historical moment which will define and shape
| digital rights and information freedom on the internet for generations to
| come. It’s one of those rare moments where the issue is black and white and
| where the two opposing camps can be identified without over-simplifying the
| issue. On one side, there are those fighting for the information revolution’s
| culture of sharing, co-operation and the public commons. On the other side is
| a powerful, industry cartel who would stomp out the commons to salvage
| proprietary information that they can buy and own.
`----

http://news.northxsouth.com/2009/05/16/the-pirate-bay-free-software/

UK Politicians Recognizing That Draconian Licensing Policies Can Harm
Up-And-Coming Musicians

,----[ Quote ]
| One point that often comes up (from all sides) in discussions about draconian
| copyright laws is the fact that, rather than worrying about copyright, new
| musicians can just ignore the legalities with no one being harmed. If only
| that were true.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090517/1247384909.shtml

Recent:

War on Sharing: RIAA moves to block new FSF court brief

| Tenenbaum case, the RIAA is attempting to block our submission to the court,
| saying, "...FSF’s latest brief demonstrates even more strikingly the deep
| animus FSF and its counsel hold for Plaintiffs, their counsel, and the
| recording industry. Such a biased organization cannot properly assist the
| court in providing neutral information and analysis."
`----

http://www.fsf.org/news/riaa-tenenbaum-amicus-revision

RIAA Brief Attacks Free Software Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| In their proposed response, the RIAA lawyers personally attacked The Free
| Software Foundation, Ray Beckerman (NewYorkCountryLawyer), and NYCL's
| blog, 'Recording Industry vs. The People'. The 9-page response (PDF) — 4
| pages longer than the document to which it was responding — termed the FSF an
| organization 'dedicated to eliminating restrictions on copying,
| redistribution, and modifying computer programs', and accused the FSF of
| having an 'open and virulent bias against copyrights' and 'blatant bias'
| against the record companies.
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/21/2041241&from=rss

RIAA publicly humiliates judge Nancy Gertner

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/18787