Re: [News] K Desktop Environment 4.3 Looking Good, GNOME Elections Coming

On 2009-05-17, wispygalaxy <wispygalaxy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> KDE 4.3 Beta 1 - looking pretty
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Looking back for a moment, there's no question that KDE 4 has had a very
>> | rough ride. Certainly, version 4.0 was a disappointment for many users,
>> | lacking features and functionality to make the move from 3.5 worthwhile.
>> | Version 4.1 started to repair the damage, and 4.2 padded it out to be
>> | good all-round desktop (don't miss our top KDE 4.2 tips!). Will 4.3 be
>> | the first 4.x release to win over armies of Gnome fans?
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.tuxradar.com/content/kde-43-beta-1-looking-pretty
>
> Nice to see that the KDE guys care about aesthetics.  It is a major factor
> for me when choosing a DE.  I'm looking at the screen for a long time, so I
> want to be seeing something that looks good!

Hmm... My wife just keeps the default KDE (3.5.9) desktop and it seems
to suit her. I work with Xfce as my WM/DE. I don't mind KDE, but it is
rather slow on some of my hardware. I'm not at all fond of kmail.

>> KDE 4.3: First Widget for Social Desktop
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A widget has been included in KDE 4.3 as the first implementation of the
>> | „Social Desktop“ which allows the user to view other KDE users in his or
>> | her city or region.
>> `----
>>
>>www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/kde_4_3_first_widget_for_social_desktop

> I'm excited about all of these new features.  I don't know any KDE users
> near where I live, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.  :P  I never been
> to a Linux user meeting before, by the way.

There's a lively group in my town. They are a mix of university students
and IT professionals. They seem friendly enough. Although I'm not sure
I'd like to share my desktop with them.

--
Regards,

Gregory.