[News] Phoenix Embraces GNU/Linux for Boards

BIOS Maker Aims to Retake the PC

,----[ Quote ]
| The core system software, as the company now calls its BIOS, builds on Linux
| operating system software and virtualization technology. Virtualization
| software started out as a way for users of one operating system, such as
| Windows XP, to run another operating system, such as Mac OS X or Linux, in a
| virtual environment. But as the technology has evolved, developers have
| recognized other advantages, aside from interoperability. By creating a
| virtualized layer of software, known as a hypervisor, between a computer's
| hardware and the operating system, for example, data can be transparently
| checked for viruses and other malicious software. In the business world, a
| single big server or a cluster of computers can run virtualized systems so
| that resources can be divvied up among customers.
`----

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22643/

Recent:

BIOS vendor promises simultaneous Linux, Windows sessions

,----[ Quote ]
| BIOS giant Phoenix Technologies will ship a fast-booting, power-sipping,
| Linux-based environment equipped with Opera Software's embedded browser, the
| companies announced. Due in January, and targeting "mobile PCs,"
| Phoenix's "HyperSpace" product promises "instant-on" Internet access on
| mobile PCs, while the primary OS is booting, running, or shutting down,
| Phoenix says.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2335228478.html?kc=rss

Instant-On Portable Computers: A Fast-Growing Trend

,----[ Quote ]
| The entry of Phoenix Technologies into this space could deliver instant-on
| features to many more models of portable computers, though. Phoenix has
| provided BIOS solutions for computers of many kinds for decades. Its
| HyperSpace environment is similar to the Linux-based equivalents for Instant
| On features, but Phoenix is not playing in the Linux and open source spaces.
`----

http://webworkerdaily.com/2008/11/05/instant-on-portable-computers-a-fast-growing-trend/

Phoenix, CyberLink Team on Virtual Media Player

,----[ Quote ]
| Phoenix Technologies , which developed the HyperSpace parallel OS platform
| earlier this year, has partnered with CyberLink to develop a version of the
| company's DVD player that exists alongside Windows.

This is why I’ll always remain a Microsoft skeptic

,----[ Quote ]
| But the real reason for Microsoft’s capitulation became clear on March 7 via
| a new joint-status report in the Microsoft-Department of Justice case. It
| turns out BIOS maker Phoenix Technologies (a long-time Microsoft partner)
| filed a complaint with antitrust regulators about Microsoft’s virtualization
| restrictions.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1256

Related:

New Phoenix BIOS will run Linux apps when Windows fails

,----[ Quote ]
| The basic concept is that an embedded Linux OS will accompany the core system
| firmware or BIOS, allowing instant-on applications to be run from it at any
| time.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/New_Phoenix_BIOS_will_run_Linux_apps_when_Windows_fails/1202928412

Phoenix HyperSpace: Quick-Boot Your Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Phoenix Technologies' new HyperSpace is an instant-on environment for
| laptops, letting users launch a browser or other apps with booting into the
| OS.
|
| Today, Phoenix Technologies introduced a firmware product called HyperSpace,
| which allows PCs to run a number of applications separate from the operating
| system. What that means is that if you use a PC equipped with HyperSpace, you
| will be able to quick-boot your notebook into a secure Linux environment,
| where you can use Web browsers like FireFox and pre-loaded Web-aware apps
| like Google Earth, Picasa, and the like.
|
| [...]
|
| Also, since HyperSpace is a Linux-based platform, Windows viruses won't
| affect it.

Microsoft nonchalant about Phoenix assault on Windows

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=software&articleId=9045662&taxonomyId=18&intsrc=kc_top
http://tinyurl.com/3depfj