[News] Public Sector Pushed Towards Free Software

Digital Health

,----[ Quote ]
| A major difference between the two companies is Medsphere uses open-source
| software, which is software in which the programming code is freely available
| for anyone to acquire and modify. For example, the Web browser Internet
| Explorer is a Microsoft product and its programming code is property of
| Microsoft. However, the Web browser Firefox is open source, meaning any
| computer user can modify its code.
|
| Open-source computer programs have the advantage in that they are free, so in
| the case of Medsphere, the state-run facilities paid for the installation and
| training for how to use the records system, not the software itself. Epic
| uses its own software.
|
| Dr. Edmund Billings, chief medical officer at Medsphere, said his company
| provides an affordable option for many hospitals that simply can't afford the
| higher priced services companies such as Epic provide.
|
| "You can buy a Cadillac or you could buy a Honda, and most people can't
| afford Cadillacs," he said.
|
| The low cost of open-source software has caught the attention of Sen. Jay
| Rockefeller, D-W.Va. The senator has introduced legislation in Congress
| calling for the universal adoption of electronic health records by using
| open-source software.
|
| "Open-source software is a cost-effective, proven way to advance health
| information technology -- particularly among small, rural providers," he said
| in a prepared statement.
`----

http://wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=58869

Open To Change

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source applications, such as Linux and Apache, most often feed the back
| end of networks - operating systems, security programs, Web servers and
| databases. But they are quickly making their way to the desks of users.
| Members of the intelligence community, for example, use them to share
| information on investigations. The Defense Information Systems Agency
| announced in March its plans to open source a suite of 50 applications for
| human resources, training, security, acquisition and other related functions.
| This will allow agencies to streamline and share information inside and
| outside the Defense Department.
|
| The General Services Administration is adopting open source principles to
| consolidate eight IT systems into one acquisition platform to allow agencies
| to share contracting data. In its solicitation for bids on the project, GSA
| said vendors must develop open source applications so other companies can
| compete for subsequent contracts for enhancements.
`----

http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?filepath=/dailyfed/0509/051309mm.htm

Linux, open source and Sharepoint in the public sector

,----[ Quote ]
| In a nutshell then SharePoint is Microsoft's attempt to box-up the Internet
| like an Office suite and introduce it to the proprietary business model with
| all the encumbered licensing, lock-in and forced upgrades that involves.
| Obviously we found this rather distasteful but that is neither new nor is it
| the point of this blog.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2185&blogid=17

Recent:

HU: Procurement continues to puzzle open source companies

,----[ Quote ]
| The Hungarian government's request for open source software is continuing to
| surprise the country's open source companies.
|
| The companies have been studying the procurement document ever since it was
| published on 16 April. "We are desperate. We just cannot find open source in
| it. It is not in there at all", said a representative of a group of open
| source companies, who declined to be named. "Maybe the reason is that this
| tender is focusing on open standards. It is also possible the government does
| not see the difference."
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/hu-procurement-continues-to-puzzle-open-source-companies

Hungarian government goes 50 per cent open source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Hungarian-government-goes-50-per-cent-open-source--/news/113003