[News] GNU/Linux Turns PlayStation 3 to Workstation 3, Boxee Makes GNU/Linux and TV

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Turns PlayStation 3 to Workstation 3, Boxee Makes GNU/Linux and TV
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 23:36:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

10 Awesome Linux Applications for Your PlayStation 3

,----[ Quote ]
| So you’ve installed that shiny Ubuntu distro onto your PlayStation 3 and
| finagled a couple of cool applications to boot. And yet, there’s still a lot
| of empty real estate on that newly formatted hard drive, and you’re no doubt
| pondering what else you can load up on your now living room-friendly PC.
| Turns out, there are literally thousands of options available; but the task
| of sorting through the seemingly endless lists and testing each and every app
| to see if it suits your tastes and jives with the PS3 can be a daunting task.
| But luckily for you, we’ve done exactly that; we rolled up our sleeves,
| burned the midnight oil, and muscled the necessary digital elbow grease to
| whittle down the Ubuntu archives to the top 10 absolute keepers. So what are
| you waiting for? Plug in your PS3’s keyboard and mouse, fire up Jaunty
| Jackalope, and read onward to get cracking.

Boxee Battles Big Media

,----[ Quote ]
| Boxee was first released in mid-2008 to users of Apple (AAPL) Macintosh
| computers and machines running the Linux operating system.

Boxee hack restores Hulu (sort of)

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately, Linux users will need to be patient for a few weeks while all
| these enhancements get phased into the Ubuntu version of Boxee, according to
| a Boxee’s blog post on the new Hulu support.

Why Does Everyone Heart Boxee?

,----[ Quote ]
| The buzz has been building for Boxee lately. Mainstream news outlets like The
| New York Times, BusinessWeek and NPR are getting hip to the little
| open-source media center that could quite possibly change the way you
| experience TV.

Boxee now open to all Ubuntu, Mac, ATV users

,----[ Quote ]
| Boxee has just opened up its free A/V media center platform to all Ubuntu,
| Mac, and AppleTV users. Additionally, Boxee for Windows has
| entered “private-alpha” phase, during which prospective users apply for the
| software online and wait for a download link.

Boxee: Open Source Connected TV

Boxee does better

,----[ Quote ]
| So, credit where it is due - it at least looks like Boxee is trying to both
| recognize and comply with the GPL.

Boxee plugs into Joost, MTV Music

,----[ Quote ]