Re: Mac User: GNU/Linux Better Than Windows

On 2009-05-14, Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On May 13, 11:45?am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> Linux - the other OS
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I?m a Mac user. I gave up on Windows a while ago. The term ?gave up? should
>> | say it all. From time to time I still use Windows and I?m still amazed it?s
>> | not better than it is. I don?t want to make this about Windows but about
>> | options. ?
>

>> | For some, jumping to Mac is not an option. It?s not like switching from an
>> | incandescent to compact fluorescent bulb. It?s not inexpensive - you have to
>> | buy a new computer and new software. ?
>
> The point is that Apple has done a brilliant job of making UNIX a
> viable competitor to Microsoft.  They have but out great ads, great
> showrooms in most major shopping malls, and well trained sales-people
> who really knew how to present and demonstrate Mac OS/X capabilities.
> The result is that Apple is now #2 in Revenue, and #3 by unit volume,
> and #1 in Profit margins, compared to Windows-only PC OEMs.

[deletia]

> This is very much what many people are looking at.  They need Windows,
> but they can't afford Mac, or the company won't pay for Macs, or they
> can't afford enough Macs for everybody.  Apple gets a very healthy
> margin on Macs because OS/X can only legally be run on Apple hardware.
>
> Linux provides the reliability, security, smooth performance, no
> hangs, and flexibility of OS/X but without the artistic interface.
> The trade-off is more flexibility and functionality in terms of both
> applications and hardware options, and lower cost.  Unfortunately, the
> OEMs are still ham-strung and unable to do much of anything to support

   OEMs have their own intertia to deal with as does any large company.
They have the results of their own previous practices as well as their
own tendency to be "set in their ways". Any group of people is ultimately
a human aggregate. Individual tendencies will be magnified by the
corporate structure.

   This makes it far easier for some outsider or upstart to offer something
new. It doesn't even have to be an entirely different OS. It can be something
as simple as machines that are highly optimized for a particular use like
gaming or HTPC. Already being a well established outsider, Apple is in the
best position to succeed at offering something different.

   Although Dell is doing surprisingly well as a Linux vendor these days.

   Much of that is due to the success of Linux in servers.

--
    Microsoft: Because the world doesn't have enough peasants.        |||
                                                                     / | \