[News] The Impact of a New Linux Phones Collaboration Between Nokia and Charity Killers

  • Subject: [News] The Impact of a New Linux Phones Collaboration Between Nokia and Charity Killers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 16:22:33 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

What's the Point of oFono?

,----[ Quote ]
| As far as the GNU/Linux-based offerings for the latter are concerned, there's
| already one platform from the LiMo Foundation, together with Google's Android
| (and maybe Moblin if you include other kinds of mobile internet devices.) On
| top of that, there are also open source platforms that are not built on top
| of Linux, for example that from Symbian.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2177

oFono: Nokia & Intel start a new Linux project against Android?

,----[ Quote ]
| I am not really sure whether it’s a big deal or not, but an interesting new
| mobile open source project, called Ofono, has been quietly announced today.
|
| [...]
|
| It  seems that Nokia and Intel are trying to create a new Linux based
| telephony software stack for smartphones/mobile internet devices.
`----

http://www.unwiredview.com/2009/05/12/ofono-nokia-intel-start-a-new-linux-project-against-android/

Intel has just been fined for its colossal crimes. They pulled a publicity
stunt by opening a facility in Germany on the very same day.

Recent:

Intel braces for billion Euro fine

,----[ Quote ]
| European competition authorities are expected to release their verdict on
| Intel's allegedly anti-competitive behaviour this week, and it's not looking
| good for the chip maker.
|
| The Commission's decision was sent to national bodies in April and will be
| presented to the Commission on Wednesday. The court is widely expected to
| find Intel guilty of anticompetitive behaviour.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/11/intel_ec_fine/

Big EU antitrust fine likely for Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| Reports from Europe suggest the European Commission (EC) will levy a
| substantial fine on Intel for breaches of competition rules.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24952/1054/

EU Set to Fine Intel for Anti-competitive Practices

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-and-Notebooks/EU-Set-to-Fine-Intel-for-Anticompetitive-Practices-338939/