[News] GNU/Linux Stealthily Bypasses Windows

Fast-and-Easy Linux From Hassle-Free PC

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a compact, fast-loading Linux OS that installs in Windows XP or Vista
| (no pesky boot CDs to burn) and runs alongside it. Tthe installer adds a
| dual-boot menu to your system, so you can pick which OS to run at startup.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/164678/fastandeasy_linux_from_hasslefree_pc.html

Related:

Playing the numbers game 2008: number of Linux installations world wide

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/playing-the-numbers-game-2008-number-of-linux-installations-world-wide/

| work to do."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151568/ballmer_still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html

Linux shows staying power on Top500

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest list indicates growing Linux dominance. Linux is used in the top
| nine supercomputer systems in the world. When considered as the primary OS or
| part of a mixed-OS supersystem, Linux is now present in 469 of the
| supercomputer sites, 93.8% of the Top500 list.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/11/25/linux-shows-staying-power-on-top500/

The Race to Instant-On Computers Begins

,----[ Quote ]
| But rather than the oft-discussed head-to-head battle between Linux and
| Windows, we’re seeing Linux latch onto Windows almost like a parasite in a
| symbiotic relationship with its host.
|
| All of the shipping or soon-to-ship instant-on systems use a thinned-down
| version of Linux as a base for presenting the quick Internet applications.
| This makes sense because computer makers can customize Linux to boot fast and
| use the software for free, meaning they don’t add much extra cost to each
| computer.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/27/the-race-to-instant-on-computers-begins/

Faster booting with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The intriguing part of all this is that we might finally get the instant-on
| capability for some pretty standard apps. The bizarre part is that the way to
| speed up your slow OS load it you actually load two different OSes. Sort of
| like running a five-kilometer race before you run your marathon. Meanwhile,
| Microsoft is now stating that similar technology could be part of Windows 7,
| presumably in 2010 and without using any of that open source voodoo.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2008/10/faster_booting.html

DeviceVM's proprietary/Linux split explained

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008346o-2000331761b,00.htm