[News] Free Software Empowers the Blind

Teaching the blind to help themselves

,----[ Quote ]
| Krishnakant Mane, who is blind, said open-source applications are available
| for the visually handicapped and he is working to create greater awareness of
| these technologies.
|
| From, Mumbai, India, he will be here to speak at the MSC Malaysia Open Source
| Conference (OSCONF) 2009, which will run from May 31 to June 3. The theme for
| the inaugural conference is “Open to Change.”
`----

http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2009/5/11/technology/20090511123921&sec=technology

Recent:

In Over My Head: Blinux

,----[ Quote ]
| Those who are completely blind have long had better resources, taking
| advantage of the superiority of Linux on the commandline.
`----

http://jehurst.wordpress.com/2009/01/15/in-over-my-head-blinux/

Vibuntu 1.0

,----[ Quote ]
| I am happy to announce the release of Vibuntu 1.0 (aka Vinux) a remaster of
| the Intrepid Ibex live CD customised to the needs of blind and partially
| sighted users! It is designed to boot from a live cd or USB memory stick, log
| you in automatically and then start up the Orca screen-reader. Full-screen
| magnification can then be activated with a simple keystroke.
`----

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Adaptive-Technologies/Vibuntu-43337.shtml

Lead, kindly light: Debian shows the way

,----[ Quote ]
| White, who is blind, presented a paper on using Linux with speech and Braille
| output interfaces.
|
| A GNU/Linux user since 1998, when he switched over from DOS, White's paper
| provided a comprehensive overview of how much support the blind and
| sight-impaired people are afforded by free software projects.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16427/1090/

Related:

Free Operating System For Blind: Adriane Knoppix

,----[ Quote ]
| Klaus and Adriane Knopper are working on an operating system for the
| blind, and as compared to other solutions available, this one is
| absolutely free!
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fullnews.asp?edid=17094

IBM helps blind 'see' web video

,----[ Quote ]
| Technology giant, IBM, is soon to launch a multimedia browser to make
| audio and video content accessible to people with vision impairments.
|
| [...]
|
| The company plans to "open source" its new accessibility software in
| order to make it available to the largest possible number of people.

IBM tool 'reads' Web video for blind

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM has made a tool for Web browsers that will help the blind and
| visually impaired access streaming multimedia on the Web.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1038_3-6166491.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

IBM to Help Colleges Make Software More Accessible for Disabled and Aged

,----[ Quote ]
| The students wrote computer code that checks word processing documents
| that adhere to the OpenDocument Format (ODF), to determine whether they
| are accessible. To propagate the technology, the students contributed
| their code to the open source community (sourceforge.org).
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070323/0230042.html

The Free Standards Group to Standardize New Accessibility Software Interfaces
Donated by IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Standards Group has said that it will be developing and
| maintaining software interfaces donated by IBM as an open standard,
| available for all to use. The standardized interfaces, IAccessible2,
| make it far easier for application developers to provide accessible
| applications to computer users with disabilities, regardless of their
| OS platform. IAccessible2 will become a crucial part of the FSG
| Accessibility Workgroup and is available immediately.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Application/The_Free_Standards_Group_to_Standardize_New_Accessibility_Software_Interfaces_Donated_by_IBM

Ground swell in favour of open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Krishnakant Mane, a fellow from Tata Institute of Fundamental Research,
| Mumbai (himself a visually challenged person), spoke on ubuntu and Orca -the
| accessible screen reader that works with Linux.
|
| "There are certainly more to using open source OS (Linux) and screen reader
| besides cost," Mane said.
| "For once, Orca can comfortably read Hindi without support from any other TTS
| (Text-To-Speech) engines, something proprietary screen readers have not
| achieved so far.
|
| It is also possible to invest a fraction of the money paid for licences to
| tweak it and make it work better."
`----

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Dec122007/cyberspace2007121140739.asp

Student exposes NZ govt Web site shortcomings

,----[ Quote ]
| Bradshaw concentrated on sight disabilities in his project, using a panel of
| testers who are blind, color-blind or have partial sight. He also used a pair
| of open-source automatic testing programs, Validator and OpenWolf. The match
| between the sets of trials was used as a check on the functioning of OpenWolf
| in particular.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1779913129&rid=-50

Low cost software for and by visually impaired

,----[ Quote ]
| Chennai (PTI): A city-based visually impaired software professional has come
| out with an 'open source voice-enabled software' based on LINUX system, for
| the benefit of visually handicapped.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/008200710231725.htm

Device Profile: Levelstar Icon PDA for visually-impaired users

,----[ Quote ]
| Levelstar used embedded Linux to create a PDA (personal digital assistant)
| for visually impaired users. The "Icon" has a custom hardware design with
| built-in 30GB hard drive, WiFi, Bluetooth, and USB, and comes with a full
| complement of "life managing software," much of it written from scratch for
| blind users.
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT3329252460.html

Barric: SBC with open-source Linux OS

,----[ Quote ]
| The "Balloon" project is an open source, Xscale based, single
| board embedded computer using an open-source Linux operating
| system and a collection of open source tools to enable
| engineers to develop on the platform.
`----

http://www.embedded-control-europe.com/prodnews?cat=1&pid=214

IBM beats Microsoft over the head with its own code

,----[ Quote ]
| Accessibility technology now headed for open-source applications was derived
| from work done by Microsoft.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/091007-ibm-accessibility.html?fsrc=rss-linux-applications

Accessibility building momentum

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/93

IBM to Help Colleges Make Software More Accessible for Disabled and Aged

,----[ Quote ]
| The students wrote computer code that checks word processing documents
| that adhere to the OpenDocument Format (ODF), to determine whether they
| are accessible. To propagate the technology, the students contributed
| their code to the open source community (sourceforge.org).
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070323/0230042.html

Reviewing the "Accessibility of Ecma Office Open XML File Formats"

,----[ Quote ]
| When and how will the accessibility failings cited in the paper be fixed? ...
| For example, the white paper notes that MSOXML fails to support WCAG 1.0
| checkpoints 4.2, 5.2, 9.4, 10.2, 12.1, 12.2, and 12.4. The white paper
| further notes that MSOXML only partially supports checkpoints WCAG 1.0
| checkpoints 6.4, 8.1, 9.1, and 11.1. Some of these are particularly important
| for blind users needing to understand the context of table cells and for good
| Braille and DAISY transcription of tables - issues we found in ODF v1.0 and
| fixed in ODF v1.1. Will these things get fixed in the future? If so, when? By
| whom? With what outside review (if any)? To appear in what update of the
| specification?
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/korn/entry/reviewing_the_a_href_http

Talking with Microsoft's Gray Knowlton about MSOXML accessibility

,----[ Quote ]
| Gray, at the start of your blog comment you say "I’m not sure that the “who
| did this?” question matters as much as your post seems to indicate", and you
| spend several paragraphs describing your (non-accessibility) background at
| Microsoft and Adobe.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/korn/entry/talking_with_microsoft_s_gray

Happy (belated) birthday: GNOME accessibility turns 6 years old

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu version 6.10 is shipping, with Orca available and optionally
| talking at boot up from the LiveCD, and talking and Brailling through
| the install (making this the first evern graphical desktop that you
| can install using Braille, and the second one that you can install
| using speech)
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/korn/entry/happy_%28belated%29_birthday%3A_gnome_accessibility
http://tinyurl.com/yammg9

Firefox: An open source accessibility success story

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www-306.ibm.com/able/resources/firefox.html