Re: Gnote 0.3.1

On 2009-05-12, Miguel de Icaza <miguel.de.icaza@xxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> Roy said:
>
>> > Gnote is an experimental port of Tomboy to C++
>>
>> Novell deIcazawill start rallying the troops...

And it didn't take long, either.

>> "More MONO! Schnell! We need more Mono!!111"
>
> I disagree Roy. As someone that has embraced multiple languages and
> bridges across multiple languages for years, this is very far from the
> truth.
>
> People should write code in whatever language they feel like using.

People who write in whatever code they feel like using have to
understand that not everyone is going to like their choice of tool.
Some TCL/TK apps are butt-ugly. So are some GTK programs. Not all by
any means. I'm sure some people avoid some programs based solely on
their looks. The user has choices, too.

> If folks want Tomboy written in C++ and want to help GNote, more power
> to them.
>
> But I embrace more than multiple languages.   Trying to force people
> into a single programming language or framework is like trying to
> convert people to your religion.   And I see no point in launching a
> full evangelical effort to spread my particular kind of religion, or
> my set of beliefs.

You have it backward. It's not a matter of trying to force anyone into
anything. It's a revolt against MONO because it's seen by many (me, for
example) as a possible hook for a criminal monopoly into linux that can
be eventually used as a weapon against it.

I'm not going to get into all of the technical aspects of the whole
thing because I don't claim to be knowledgeable about it all. But I do
know that more than once in the past said illegal monopoly has built
bridges to allow others to work with their products, then pulled the
rug out from under those who tried to participate. They've built their
entire criminal enterprise on the concept of always making others play
catch-up (when they aren't crushing them outright, or buying and
destroying them afterward), and twisting how their things work just s
smidgen to make things not quite work properly for others' products.

Many people (me, for example) see MONO as one more shell game for them.
It's nothing more than an extension out of the monopoly OS world and
into the linux world, a world where it previously had zero effect.
We choose not to participate in it by supporting it. Whether those
pushing it are aware of it or not (I suspect more than one is, but I
don't have any personal knowledge of that).

I'm personally proactive. I eradicate every library, application or
support structure on my system that has the slightest thing to do with
MONO. .NET can stay out of my life completely, no matter what name it
chooses to call itself.

Beyond that I couldn't care less what code anybody wants to use. That's
their business. If it works for me and it does what I need, I'll use
it. All I avoid is anything to do with .NET/MONO.

--
Vista: Proof you CAN fool some of the people all of the time.