[News] Microsoft -- Approaching Debt -- Starts Attack People

On the Microsoft Office ODF support fiasco

,----[ Quote ]
| For those of us who have been following  the Great Document Format Wars, Gray
| is being disingenous. To a large extent, ODF has come as far as it has
| because of Rob’s (and other ODF TC members) fantastic work on it.
|
| As for personal venom, it takes two to tango. Microsoft is certainly no
| blooming lily where personal attacks are concerned. After all, it takes two
| parties to build a healthy working relationship. On this, Gray cannot place
| the blame solely on Rob’s shoulders.
|
| Given how ODF has flourished under Rob’s leadership, there doesn’t seem to be
| any meritorious reason for him to vacate the Chair.
`----

http://ditesh.gathani.org/blog/2009/05/10/on-the-microsoft-office-odf-support-fiasco/

Recent:

Microsoft now attempts to sabotage ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| - Ask the ODF Alliance to publish a press release recommending not using
| the "Save as ODF" facility included MS Office SP2, due to the bad quality of
| the produced ODF files.
|
| [...]
|
| - Start a petition asking Microsoft to make MS Office SP2 unavailable until
| the design flaws in the product have been corrected.
|
| We must make it clear to Microsoft that their attitude is not acceptable, and
| force them to behave in a better way.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-154383/microsoft-now-attempts-to-sabotage-odf

Engage, embrace, extinguish

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we have OpenOffice.org 3.1 gets released. In the meantime, the
| proprietary product from Redmond claims to be able to wirte ODF format, but
| fails. Pity. Money corrupts, but MS Tax Dollars corrupts absolutely.
`----

http://harishpillay.livejournal.com/157565.html

Microsoft now attempt to fragment ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the first articles published about SP2 and for which I call the
| attention of everyone is from Rob Weir, chair of the OASIS ODF TC (group that
| develops the ODF, to which I belong). It is simply scary to see what Office
| 2007 does with existing ODF spreadsheets.
|
| The technical details are all on Rob’s blog, but in summary, when opening an
| ODF spreadsheet (.ods file) using Office 2007, it simply removes all existing
| formulas without telling anything to the user, leaving only the values in
| cells (results of formulas evaluation, previously stored in the document). If
| a user wants to test the ODF support in Office, and without giving due
| attention, save an existing spreadsheet, will overwrite the document removing
| all the formulas (as if you were writing a table). I saw absurdities in life,
| but nothing compared to this.
`----

http://homembit.com/2009/05/microsoft-now-attempt-to-fragment-odf.html

OpenDocument Format: The Standard for Office Documents

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/05/opendocument-format-standard-for-office.html

A Few Facts As Antidote Against Microsoft's anti-ODF FUD Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| The best antidote against FUD is facts. FUD only works when people don't know
| any better. So, given some recent anti-ODF FUD in the air, I thought it would
| be useful to provide some facts.
|
| First, I'd like to show you who voted Yes to approve OpenDocument v1.1 as an
| OASIS Standard in January of 2007. ODF v1.2 is already being adopted by some
| now, of course, as development has continued, but Microsoft chose to stick
| with v1.1, so let's do the same. I think you'll find the list dispositive as
| to who is sincere in this picture. Next time you read some criticism of ODF,
| then, you can just take a look at the list and ask yourself what it tells
| you. And if you are a technical person, here's ODF v1.1, so you can compare
| any claims of deficiencies. Here's Groklaw's chronicle of the OOXML/ODF saga,
| where you can find many resources, including a chronology of events from 2005
| to the present.

Microsoft vs. ODF: arrogance on display

,----[ Quote ]
| Note to Microsoft: This is not how standards work. Frankly, if you don’t
| intend to support ODF properly, you may as well not support it at all. What
| your product writes isn’t ODF. When your product reads ODF, it silently
| discards important parts of the data. (Yes, the formulas in spreadsheets are
| important. That’s the whole purpose of a spreadsheet program! Otherwise we
| may as well be using pencil, paper, and calculators.)
`----

http://www.shawnkquinn.com/2009/05/microsoft-vs-odf-arrogance-on-display/

Should we waterboard Rob Weir? And other crucial questions…

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2009/05/08/should-we-waterboard-rob-weir-and-other-crucial-questions/