[News] Ubuntu 9.10 Already Solid, to Show Up as Alpha

Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 1 freeze ahead

,----[ Quote ]
| The first alpha release of Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala is targeted for next
| Thursday, May 14.

More Karmic plans

,----[ Quote ]
| The Jaunty development cycle was a hectic, pulsating (no pun intended) ride,
| and Karmic's looks to be just as vigourous! Here are my objectives for 9.10:
| Audio:
|     Enable power-saving by default for HDA controllers - after fifteen
|     seconds, power down the HDA controller to squeeze some juice for those
|     transpacific flights. I'll be calling for testers shortly, but I'm most
|     interested in resolving anomalies after the controller powers back up.

Canonical Engaging Ubuntu Software Partners

,----[ Quote ]
| Details are still sketchy. But sources tell me Canonical is adjusting some
| internal employee roles. The result will be a stronger, more immediate
| emphasis on ISV relations, especially as Canonical prepares to launch Ubuntu
| 9.10.

Ubuntu 9.10 development begins

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 9.10 is expected to focus on server functions related to cloud
| computing, energy conservation, shorter start up times and a revised login
| screen. Better hardware support for the growing number of netbooks is also
| planned. Following the final release of Ubuntu 9.10, a Developer Summit is
| scheduled for the 19th of November.

Ubuntu Karmic development kicks off

Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) Release Schedule

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu team is already planning for 9.10, which will see the light of day in
| October 2009. The desktop side will focus on beautification and an improved
| boot-up experience; the server side will target cloud computing.

Will Your Next Wireless Router Run Ubuntu?

,----[ Quote ]
| Granted, only experienced Linux geeks are likely to be able to enjoy master
| mode for the time being, since putting it into action requires intimate
| familiarity with the ‘iwconfig’ command, the ‘hostap’ utility and most likely
| dhcp servers, not to mention bridging network interfaces together.
| Nonetheless, the day has at least become conceivable when setting up an
| Ubuntu computer as a wireless router is as easy to clicking a button in
| NetworkManager, allowing even the most technologically inept Linux users to
| create local wireless networks effortlessly–and not just ad-hoc networks like
| those supported by ‘Internet Connection Sharing’ in Windows, but true access
| point-based networks.

Ubuntu 9.10 sees the cloud above the trees

,----[ Quote ]
| Next month Ubuntu 9.04, Jaunty Jackelope, hits an FTP or torrent site near
| you. With its feature set pretty much frozen the masterminds at Canonical are
| looking to the future with Ubuntu 9.10 – Karmic Koala, I kid you not – being
| touted as cloud-centric.
| [...]
| As to naysayers, well, hey, it’s not just a koala – it’s also karmic. That
| means Windows no more; this time Ubuntu isn’t just personal, it’s fate.

Ubuntu 9.10 Release Schedule Is Now Available

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 9.04 will not even be out for another month and a half, but Ubuntu
| enthusiasts can already start getting excited for its successor, Ubuntu 9.10.
| Ubuntu 9.10 has been codenamed the Karmic Koala and this release from
| Canonical will integrate Plymouth to provide a rich kernel mode-setting
| experience, feature performance improvements, and contain enhancements for
| Ubuntu cloud computing. In time for Ubuntu 9.10 we may even see some
| Gallium3D drivers and the latest innovations in the Linux stack as of the
| Linux 2.6.31 kernel or thereabouts.

Ubuntu 9.10 Release Schedule

Introducing the Karmic Koala, our mascot for Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce the *Karmic Koala*, the newest
| member of our alliterative menagerie.
| When you are looking for inspiration beyond the looming Jaunty feature
| freeze, I hope you'll think of the Koala, our official mascot for Ubuntu
| 9.10. And if you'll bear with me for a minute I'll set the scene for what we
| hope to achieve in that time.

Ubuntu 9.10 is named Karmic Koala, will eat tasty eucalyptus

,----[ Quote ]