[News] Attack on TPB Still Backfires, Sharing Becomes More Popular

Facebook’s E-mail Censorship is Legally Dubious, Experts Say

,----[ Quote ]
| When The Pirate Bay released new Facebook features last month, the popular
| social networking site took evasive action, blocking its members from
| distributing file-sharing links through its service.
`----

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/05/facebooks-e-mail-censorship-is-legally-dubious-experts-say/

Pirate Party 3rd Largest Political Party in Sweden

,----[ Quote ]
| Support for the Swedish Pirate Party surged following the Pirate Bay verdict
| and today it became the third largest political party in the country. When
| they are elected for the European Parliament next month, the party hopes to
| end the abuse of copyright by multi-billion dollar corporations.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-party-3rd-largest-political-party-in-sweden-090506/

The Culture of Sharing: Why Releasing Copyright Will Be the Smartest Thing You
Do

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year I Uncopyrighted my blog, Zen Habits, and my ebook, Zen To Done, and
| it was one of the best things I’ve ever done. People have used my articles in
| blogs, newsletters, magazines, ebooks, books and more. And yes, they’ve made
| profits off me without me getting any of that money … but at the same time,
| I’ve benefitted: my ideas have spread, my name and brand have spread, and my
| readership has grown and grown. Since I Uncopyrighted the blog, it has grown
| from about 30K subscribers to 113K.
|
| You can Uncopyright your blog, your ebooks, and even your print books. And I
| can almost guarantee you: it’ll be the best thing you can do as a writer.
`----

http://writetodone.com/2009/04/29/the-culture-of-sharing-why-releasing-copyright-will-be-the-smartest-thing-you-do/

Steal this archive: Image curator warns of public domain loss, urges greater
access

,----[ Quote ]
| “If the Google book deal is approved without any changes, we could soon lose
| 100 million books that society doesn’t know what to do with,” said Prelinger,
| referring to “orphan works,” or works under copyright, but whose owner is not
| known.
`----

http://www-dateline.ucdavis.edu/dl_detail.lasso?id=11382

Google Italy explains how Google is different from The Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| Someone at Google is pissing their pants.
|
|     * the file format thing can be said of The Pirate Bay as well
|     * The Pirate Bay has not the financial means to create a removal workflow
|       like Google
|     * The Pirate Bay removes the contents, it just does when Police asks, as
|       it should be. It doesn’t take the right to judge. Exactly as it should
|       be.
|     * the quote of Mazza is just a black on white judgement, without any
|       argument supporting his claims.
|     * everyone knows YouTube mades his fortune closing a eye on illegal
|       content, until it really was forced to remove it.
|     * misuse of google is easily done, and I can’t see Google be willing to
|       stop that anytime. Now, mr Kennedy try to type Coldplay there. What do
|       you get ? Or type coldplay torrent in google.
|
| Differences may exist. But you seem not to know those.
`----

http://www.stefanoforenza.com/google-italy-explains-how-google-is-different-from-the-pirate-bay/

Recent:

Pirate Bay Verdict May Actually Lead To Pirate Party Official Joining European
Parliament

,----[ Quote ]
| While the entertainment industry still really seems to think that the
| disputed verdict in the Pirate Bay trial was a victory, most folks who can
| look beyond the immediate ruling have recognized what a horrific loss this
| has been for the industry. On the technology side, it's done nothing of
| importance.

Stardock CEO: Focus On Your Customers; Don't Worry About Pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| You can waste an awful lot of energy and resources "fighting pirates" and
| losing, or you can focus on actually serving your customers and making money.
| Which seems more intelligent?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090501/1220064718.shtml

French film-makers and science fiction writers protest new anti-P2P law

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/30/french-film-makers-a.html

Google Blocking Torrent Searches

,----[ Quote ]
| Google is blocking searches originating from torrent sites using Google
| Custom Search to find .torrent files, according to TorrentFreak.com, a move
| the founder of the site calls “censorship.”
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/05/01/google-blocking-torrent-searches

Poll: Swedish pro file-sharing party gains support

,----[ Quote ]
| A new poll shows a Swedish party that calls for legalizing Internet
| file-sharing could win a seat in the European Parliament in June.
|
| The poll published Thursday in the Stockholm newspaper Dagens Nyheter shows
| the Pirate Party's backing has surged after a court verdict against The
| Pirate Bay file-sharing site. Four men behind The Pirate Bay were convicted
| this month of copyright violations and sentenced to a year in prison.
`----

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/poll-swedish-pro-filesharing-party-gains-support-20090430-ap1q.html
http://tinyurl.com/cu2azv

Swedish Pirate Party Heading for EU Parliament

,----[ Quote ]
| A poll carried out by a major Swedish newspaper predicts that the Pirate
| Party will grab around 5.1% of the votes in the upcoming European Union
| elections. This means that the movement, which has gathered huge momentum due
| to the Pirate Bay ‘guilty’ verdict, will get a seat in the EU Parliament.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/swedish-pirate-party-heading-for-eu-parliament-090430/

Pirate Bay IP Addresses Assigned to Prosecution Lawyers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Pirate Bay recently got a new range of IPs and to everyone’s surprise
| they are now linked to several movie and music industry lawyers involved in
| the TPB trial. According to the Pirate Bay’s Wikipedia entry the change was
| due to a hostile takeover, but most people know better.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-ips-assigned-to-prosecution-lawyers-090426/

Rapidshare Shares Uploader Info with Rights Holders

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/rapidshare-shares-uploader-info-with-rights-holders-090425/