[News] More OLPCs with GNU/Linux Dispatched

One XO Learning Laptop Per South Carolinian School Child

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year, One Laptop Per Child/South Carolina launched a XO laptop pilot
| project at Britton's Neck Elementary in Marion School District Seven and
| Rains Centenary Early Childhood Center in Mullins, with 500 computers and an
| over-riding goal: one XO learning laptop per South Carolinian school child.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/usa/olpc_south_carolina_school_child.html

Recent:

OLPC XO-2 goes Open Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| I admit to being a little gobstopped by Nicholas Negroponte’s announcment in
| the Guardian that the next generation OLPC will be Open Hardware is a pretty
| big deal.  I picked up the announcement this morning from Make Magazine
| editor, Phil Torrone’s twitter feed in which he says “This is pretty much the
| biggest news of 2009".  For the maker, tinkerer, hardware hacker world, this
| might just be true.
`----

http://manypossibilities.net/2009/01/olpc-xo-2-goes-open-hardware/

Related:

OLPC: Nigeria's Registrar Finds No Proof KONYIN Registration Was Extended

,----[ Quote ]
| I know. The dog ate it.
|
| It is also a matter of record that Oyegbola was convicted of bank fraud in
| Boston in 1990 and served a year in prison.
|
| OLPC Nigeria already told the court that the Extension of Design was invalid,
| but the court ignored them. I don't think it will do so now. If there is no
| valid extension, an injunction based upon it would be improper, obviously.
| The court will have another opportunity to get it right, as this letter will
| now be presented to the court. That's if it *wants* to get it right, which I
| am not at all convinced it does.

Local OEMs boycott Microsoft, Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The local Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) in the country may have
| commenced boycotting of placing orders on the Operating System (OS)
| dominantly supplied by the software giant, Microsoft Corporation and computer
| processor manufacturer, Intel Corporation offices in the country.
`----

http://itrealms.blogspot.com/2007/11/local-oems-boycott-microsoft-intel.html

OLPC Tells Nigerian Court: We Don't Use LANCOR's Keyboard

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's what OLPC says was hidden from the court:
|
|     * LANCOR has no valid patent
|     * OLPC hasn't sold any XO laptops in Nigeria
|     * it's a non-profit
|     * the beta XO laptops tested in Nigeria were not for sale and were not
|     given away
|     * OLPC never signed a EULA
|     * OLPC never reverse engineered anything
|     * its keyboards that will be distributed use all public domain techniques
|     and not LANCOR's Konyin keyboard

Nigerian Patent Infringement Lawsuit: Scam or Shame?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/hardware/keyboard/olpc_patent_infringement_scam.html