Re: [News] Shuttleworth Foundation Produces GNU/Linux Applications, Songbird on GNU/Linux Tested

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Shuttleworth Foundation announces open source school admin app

,----[ Quote ]
| The Shuttleworth Foundation has announced the release of SchoolTool 1.0, a | web-based open source student information system and calendar server for | primary and secondary schools around the world. `----

http://www.itnewsafrica.com/?p=2599

SchoolTool is on a cross-platform development path:

http://book.schooltool.org/htmlhelp/system-requirements.html
(((((
Why Ubuntu Only?¶

SchoolTool is written in Python, a highly portable open source programming language. SchoolTool can be ported to Mac OS, Windows, or other Linux or Unix versions with a moderate amount of work. We’ve done this in the past.

We have created packages for multiple OS’s, but the core development team could not support them. The Mac OS version ran slowly and occasionally hung for no discernible reason. We could copy/paste some code to make SchoolTool run as a Windows service but we didn’t understand how it worked or fix it if it didn’t. A helpful volunteer made some RPM packages, but we didn’t know much about how they worked and he didn’t know much about how SchoolTool worked, so if someone had a problem with them, it wasn’t clear who could help. A student information system is mission critical for a school; we don’t want schools running systems that nobody understands.

So, we provide one set of packages which we understand very well, and for which we have a very efficient, automated system to create and push updates and bugfixes. If a user has a problem, we at least start from a uniform working environment.

We welcome additional ports and packages; the core development team just does not have the capacity to provide and support them ourselves.
)))))

http://sourceforge.net/projects/schooltool/
(((((
Universal school administration and management system, written in Python. SchoolTool uses the ZODB for object storage, wxPython for the administrative client, and RESTful HTTP communications. Please see the new SchoolTool website at http://schooltool.org
)))))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WxPython
(((((
wxPython
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
wxPython is a cross-platform wrapper for the GUI API (often referred to as a 'toolkit') wxWidgets (which is written in C++) for the Python programming language. It is one of the alternatives to Tkinter, which is bundled with Python. It is implemented as a Python extension module (native code). Other popular alternatives are PyGTK and PyQT. Like wxWidgets, wxPython is free software.
)))))