[News] Red Hat Attacks Software Patents in Europe

Red Hat Makes its Position Patent

,----[ Quote ]
| My reasoning was that this was an extremely technical consideration of the
| issue of software patents, and that the people pondering the matter would not
| be interested in vague philosophical waffle about why software patents were a
| bad thing. They would be looking for keenly-argued, legalistic comments of
| the kind I was manifestly unable to provide.
|
| Instead, I thought it better to leave this one to those better able to obtain
| some heavy legal advice on what should be written, and how.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2162

Steve Stites - Subject: Thank You ( May 5, 2009, 19:43:29 )

,----[ Quote ]
| I think that a more appropriate title for the article would be "Red Hat
| speaks for us all on software patents".
|

| Thank you, Red Hat.
|

| Red Hat presents the Open Source argument against software patents very well.
| I would also like to see a commercial software company such as Microsoft
| present the commercial argument against software patents. Software patents
| are less than a zero sum game among the commercial software companies. They
| create a net drag on the commercial software industry. Microsoft has the
| largest loses of any company in the software patent wars and they are the
| logical commercial candidate to lobby for the abolition of software patents.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-05-05-014-35-NW-RH-LL-0000

Recent:

Red Hat plans more hiring after adding 600 employees

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the worst recession in decades, Linux giant Red Hat added 600
| employees to its rolls during the 12 months that ended Feb. 28, and the
| Raleigh company anticipates more hiring going forward, according to a filing
| Wednesday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
`----

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2009/04/27/daily51.html

Red Hat Gets Boost From Tighter IT Budgets

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30348126