[News] Censorship and Web Abuse Seen in Europe Because Internet Brings Freedom

Italy's Troubling View Of The Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| However, that's hardly all of the oddities coming out of Italy lately. Of
| course, like France, the country is looking to implement a three strikes law,
| but has also required all blogs to register with the government. Then there
| were the folks who ran an online music store, where they had officially
| licensed the music for sale, but the IFPI claimed they didn't get all the
| right licenses, and an Italian court sent them to jail for this (rather than
| just fining them or passing an injunction). Oh right, and Italian cops have
| been asking for a back door to listen to Skype calls. And... finally,
| recently we wrote about a law that the gov't was considering that would ban
| anonymity online in Italy -- and it just so happened that the law was written
| by entertainment industry representatives. Add all these up, and it seems
| that Italy appears to be an incredibly anti-Internet country. You'd have to
| imagine that can't be good for business.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090504/0148494730.shtml

The Internet Saved My Tongue

,----[ Quote ]
| The investigation vividly illustrated how Canada’s provincial and national
| human rights commissions (HRCs), created in the 1970s to police
| discrimination in employment, housing, and the provision of goods and
| services, have been hijacked as weapons against speech that offends members
| of minority groups. My eventual victory over this censorious assault suggests
| that Western governments will find it increasingly difficult in the age of
| the Internet to continue undermining human rights in the name of defending
| them.
`----

http://reason.com/news/show/133221.html

Recent:

Italian MEP warns of net neutrality rift

,----[ Quote ]
| An Italian MEP, Catiuscia Marini, has warned that net neutrality is proving
| to be a problem in the Telecoms Package trialogue discussions. She mentions
| the issue in a letter  sent in response to concerned emails from  thousands
| of Italian citizens about the threat to net neutrality in the Telecoms
| Package.
`----

http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=277&Itemid=9

Italian bloggers call for support from around the world to fight
blogger-licensing in Italy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/03/11/italian-bloggers-cal.html