[News] Excessive Copyrights Lead to Fear of Knowledge

The Fear of Knowledge

,----[ Quote ]
| Copyright infringement should not be based on fear.  Fear is a very powerful
| tool that is all to often exploited by governments and those in power to get
| the information they want stuffed into people’s minds.  Where do you think
| Mrs. Smith learned this information?  Was it a credible source?  Chances are
| it was, which brings up the question of who you can really trust.  If people
| stopped blindly trusting the government, what would happen to fear as a
| propaganda technique?  When discussing copyright, it is best to decide where
| your ethics are.  “Should I share an ogg (or mp3) of this out of print CD
| with my friend?”  “Should I consider a small violation of the DMCA a crime if
| I will only be using the content for what used to be called ‘fair
| use’?”  “Should I cite this public domain resource?”  “Should I tell my
| friends about this artist and give them this audio file to get them
| interested?”  “Should I download this BBC documentary I found on BitTorrent
| so I can learn about Elephant migration patterns for my report on African
| mammals?”  There are so many possibilities.  The government has drawn an
| unreasonably inhibitory line in the dirt, and used fear to enforce it.  As a
| result, the only way to figure out what is right or wrong is to make the
| ethical decision yourself.
`----

http://trombonechamp.wordpress.com/2009/05/03/the-fear-of-knowledge/

The Absurdity of the USTR's Blame Canada Approach

,----[ Quote ]
| The IIPA, the lead U.S. lobbyist on international IP matters, has issued a
| press release on the USTR Special 301 report, welcoming the inclusion of
| Canada on the Priority Watch List.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3912/125/

Recent:

Kiwis reject wild west copyright cut-offs

,----[ Quote ]
| NEW ZEALAND HAS REJECTED a controversial law which could have seen suspected
| illegal file sharers disconnected from the Internet without trial or
| evidence.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/482/1051482/kiwis-reject-wild-west-copyright-cut-offs

Draconian copyright law: Section 92 a SCRAPPED

http://coffee.geek.nz/draconian-copyright-law-section-92-scrapped.html

Scoop: NZ Linux Community reject copyright law

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://coffee.geek.nz/scoop-nz-linux-community-reject-copyright-law.html