[News] Sweden Steps Up to Encourage Safe Sharing

Swedish ISPs vow to erase users' traffic data

,----[ Quote ]
| Having apparently been scared off illegal file sharing in large numbers by a
| new Swedish law that went into effect April 1, pirates in that country now
| have a new safe harbor to escape law enforcement.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10229618-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Best-selling Swedish author uploads audio book to the Pirate Bay to protest
court verdict

,----[ Quote ]
| The well-known Swedish author Unni Drougge was so upset by the court verdict
| against the Pirate Bay that she uploaded a home-made audio book version of
| her best-selling new novel Boven i Mitt Drama Kallas Kärlek (The villan in my
| drama is called love) to the site, complete with a manifesto for free file
| sharing and a link to her Paypal account.
`----

http://www.p2p-blog.com/item-1029.html

LoTR fan film set for net premiere

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the BBC, the film is set between The Hobbit and the Fellowship
| of the Ring, and "tells the story of Aragorn as he sets out to discover the
| truth about the Ring".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/30/hunt_for_gollum/

Recent:

Pirate Bay IP Addresses Assigned to Prosecution Lawyers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Pirate Bay recently got a new range of IPs and to everyone’s surprise
| they are now linked to several movie and music industry lawyers involved in
| the TPB trial. According to the Pirate Bay’s Wikipedia entry the change was
| due to a hostile takeover, but most people know better.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-ips-assigned-to-prosecution-lawyers-090426/

Rapidshare Shares Uploader Info with Rights Holders

,----[ Quote ]
| In Germany, the file-hosting service Rapidshare has handed over the personal
| details of alleged copyright infringers to several major record labels. The
| information is used to pursue legal action against the Rapidshare users and
| at least one alleged uploader saw his house raided.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/rapidshare-shares-uploader-info-with-rights-holders-090425/

The Pirate Google

http://www.thepirategoogle.com/

Pirate Bay Judge Accused of Bias, Calls for a Retrial

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the biggest cases in file-sharing history ended last week with The
| Pirate Bay Four sentenced to huge fines and jail time. Today it is revealed
| that far from being impartial, the judge in the case is a member of
| pro-copyright groups - along with Henrik Pontén, Monique Wadsted and Peter
| Danowsky. There are loud calls for a retrial.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-lawyer-is-biased-calls-for-a-retrial-090423/

Paul McCartney's Confused About The Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| He says that as if there is anyone out there who claims that artists
| shouldn't get "rewarded" for doing something great. The problem is no one is
| saying that. We're just debating how they will (not should) get rewarded.
| And, of course, plenty of artists who embrace things like The Pirate Bay are
| getting rewarded for doing so. Claiming that they're not is simply false and
| suggests ignorance of the subject.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090421/1807264603.shtml

RIAA Brief Attacks Free Software Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| In their proposed response, the RIAA lawyers personally attacked The Free
| Software Foundation, Ray Beckerman (NewYorkCountryLawyer), and NYCL's
| blog, 'Recording Industry vs. The People'. The 9-page response (PDF) — 4
| pages longer than the document to which it was responding — termed the FSF an
| organization 'dedicated to eliminating restrictions on copying,
| redistribution, and modifying computer programs', and accused the FSF of
| having an 'open and virulent bias against copyrights' and 'blatant bias'
| against the record companies.
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/21/2041241&from=rss

RIAA publicly humiliates judge Nancy Gertner

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/18787