[News] New Lie Centred Around Bandwidth, Used to Abuse Neutrality

Time Warner Cable Earnings Refute Download Cap Economics (Again)

,----[ Quote ]
| Time Warner Cable spent much of April pushing scary statistics about internet
| hogs, futilely attempting to convince the press and its eight million
| broadband customers that downloading was killing the company’s bottom line
| and would lead to internet Armageddon if its current buffet-style plan was
| not replaced with a pay-by-the-byte model.
`----

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/04/time-warner-cable-earnings-refute-download-cap-economics-again/

No, The Internet Isn't Running Out Of Bandwidth

,----[ Quote ]
| Nemertes Research has a history of putting out fear mongering reports about
| the coming bandwidth flood that will kill the internet. So I pretty much
| ignored the news that it had come out with another one, which the press is
| happy to report without any hint of skepticism (or noting that Nemertes is
| funded by telcos who stand to benefit from fears of a bandwidth glut).
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090501/1309504720.shtml

Telecoms Package: When rapporteurs betray EU citizens.

,----[ Quote ]
| On both parts of the Telecoms Package, rapported by Malcolm Harbour (IMCO
| report) and Catherine Trautmann (ITRE report), agreements have been found
| with the Council of the EU to destroy or neutralize major protections of the
| citizens against graduated response, "net discrimination" and filtering of
| content on the Internet. There is little time left, but the Parliament has a
| last chance with the plenary vote on May 6th to reaffirm its commitment to
| protecting EU citizens.
`----

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/telecoms-package-when-rapporteurs-betray-eu-citizens

Recent:

Time Warner halts metered billing tests

,----[ Quote ]
| Time Warner Cable has put the brakes on a trial that was testing its
| new "consumption-based billing" system for its broadband service, the company
| said Thursday.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10221470-94.html

Time Warner tries again, fails to justify caps and charges

,----[ Quote ]
| Time Warner Cable has increased all of its Internet data caps, added some new
| ones, and generously offered to limit overage charges to $75/month. Perhaps
| that's because the company's broadband operations are actually earning more
| cash and have lower expenses than they did in 2007, making TWC's stated
| rationale for the caps less tenable.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/04/time-warner-cable-to-press-stop-questioning-our-caps.ars

Why Cable ISP Capping is the New DRM, and Suck

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/time-warner-cable-internet-drm,7530.html