[News] Review of Ballnux 11.1

openSUSE 11.1 Impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I'm very impressed with openSUSE 11.1. I'm still getting used to
| YaST, it has little quirks I'm not used to yet, and there are some places
| where configuration options overlap (there are several network config
| utilities). The system itself is rock-solid; however, and I'd definitely
| recommend it over Ubuntu for new users. For running the latest software it is
| right up there with Fedora, and surpasses it in some ways. For package
| management I've found zypper to be more to my liking than yum, and on par
| with apt-get. OpenSUSE 11.1 won't replace Debian stable on my desktop, but it
| is a great fit for my laptop.

Novell is a sellout and part of the problem, just like GE:

Microsoft and Linux trade patent words in Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has teamed with General Electric to petition European regulators on
| a fundamental principle that will continue to drive a wedge between the
| company and open source supporters.
| The duo filed an amicus brief arguing that regulators should believe in the
| existence of patents in software and that these patents should then be
| enforceable in European Union courts.

OpenSUSE Build Service adds ARM support

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenSUSE Build Service was released in a 1.6 version that adds ARM
| support to the community distro. Meanwhile, the Linux Foundation (LF)
| announced that the service will be incorporated in its Linux Developer
| Network (LDN), enabling "software to be packaged for all major Linux
| distributions," says the LF.

Building Linux Software the easy way: OpenSUSE Build Service

,----[ Quote ]
| Let’s say you want to write an easy-to-install program for any Linux
| distribution. That’s a a problem. There is no single, easy way to install
| software for all versions of Linux OpenSUSE thinks it has an answer: the
| openSUSE Build Service.
| The openSUSE project, the community Linux distribution supported by Novell,
| announced the release of its openSUSE Build Service 1.0 on July 7th. The
| first major release of the Build Service provides developers with direct
| access to the code repositories for the openSUSE Linux distribution.

openSUSE 11.0; KDE 4.1 Improvements

,----[ Quote ]