[News] Sub-notebooks Annihilate Microsoft's Business Model

Will Netbooks be the place where Microsoft stumbles?

,----[ Quote ]
| What is interesting here is that Microsoft may not be the operating system of
| choice for the netbook.  The article suggests that Google's operating system
| may be the operating system of choice.  If this happens, then it is possible
| that Microsoft will face pressure from the low cost end of the computing
| environment.  And the risk to Microsoft is that the netbook will become "good
| enough" of a computer for enterprize just like so much of the consumer
| technology.
`----

http://www.glgroup.com/News/Will-Netbooks-be-the-place-where-Microsoft-stumbles--37999.html

Netbooks: Not if, But What Will Replace PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Having learned from my prediction in 1984 that mainframes were on the verge
| of extinction, I know that PCs will be with us for years to come. But the
| future is a world where all sorts of appliances are used to get online and
| where applications and data usually live in the cloud with access through a
| browser. No one will consider it necessary to have a PC to go online. No one
| will be offline for very long.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/133263-netbooks-not-if-but-what-will-replace-pcs

Recent:

Microsoft Admits Windows 7 Is Not really Suitable for Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| By extending the availability of Windows XP until October 2010, it admits
| that Windows 7 on a netbook doesn’t really cut the mustard, and at the same
| time that the company has nothing to replace XP for that platform yet. It
| means that the lowliest version of Windows 7 is not a winner, and still gets
| beaten by Windows XP. ( Of course, they also want to take a huge swipe at
| Linux, all flavors – the availability of XP at bargain basement prices is
| going to make many think twice about ordering a netbook with any Linux
| distribution on it).
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/theoracle/2009/04/30/microsoft-admits-windows-7-is-not-really-suitable-for-netbooks/

Windows 7 leaves netbook market open for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's newest operating system Windows 7 will leave much of the
| burgeoning netbook market open for Linux because of its relatively large
| footprint. This was confirmed to iTWire by a local Microsoft executive today,
| although she did not spell it out in those words.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24773/1023/

Ballmer: GNU/Linux Will Win on Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]