[News] [Rival] Microsoft Uses Corruptible Politicians to Teach Kids to Smoke Windows

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Uses Corruptible Politicians to Teach Kids to Smoke Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 22:23:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Thailand launch for Microsoft cloud computing

,----[ Quote ]
| In an initial stage, the company will begin a pilot project in collaboration
| with Sripratum University in which students at 2,000 schools around the
| country will be able to sign-on to Live ID, allowing them to experience
| Microsoft's Live service on a cloud platform.
`----

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/04/28/technology/technology_30101401.php

“They’ll get sort of addicted, and then we’ll somehow figure out how to collect
sometime in the next decade.”

                                --Bill Gates

Russian approach antitrust and moves to Linux, so Microsoft dumps there too:

Steve Ballmer makes a long-term overseas investment for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| But Ballmer's appearance included something else. According to the Moscow
| Times, he also heaped praise upon local officials for their efforts in
| fighting the global recession. Never mind the Russian government's attempts
| to stabilize the Ruble by burning through its foreign currency reserves, or
| its leaders' tirades against the United States for causing the global
| economic slowdown. The Microsoft CEO praised the "amazing work the Russian
| government is doing" to boost the economy.
`----

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2009/05/01/steve-ballmer-microsoft-russia

They also found cronies in Spain:

ES: Open source community protests national plan for school PCs

http://www.osor.eu/news/es-open-source-community-protests-national-plan-for-school-pcs

Recent:

Spanish Government to Hand Schools Over to Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Microsoft Leaders Forum in Berlin in January, Spanish Secretary of
| State of Education, Eva Almunia, presented four students working with Tablet
| PCs, using Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| The Spanish Ministry of Education has not considered any other vendor apart
| form Microsoft, there hasn't been a public contest, and the media and other
| vendors were not informed about the pilot program until it was over.
| Furthermore, no other alternative has been considered.
|
| If the plan gets the green light, it would have dire consequences for the
| communities of Andalucía, Castilla-La Mancha, Extremadura, Valencia, and all
| the other autonomous regions that already have a Linux-based IT
| infrastructures, which have already been paid for and are in use, in place
| within their school systems.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/spanish_government_to_hand_schools_over_to_microsoft

Open-source software suites pre-installed in local PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| In a bid to promote the wider use of open-source software in Thailand, the
| National Electronics and Computer Technology Centre (Nectec) has joined five
| local computer manufacturers to pre-install open-source software suites in
| personal computers.
|
| The five companies are SVOA, D Com, Synnex (Thailand), IT Bakery and Powell
| Computer.
|
| Nectec's director Pansak Siriruchatapong said Nectec was developing and
| customising open-source software suites for the local-brand PC companies,
| including the operating system Ubuntu Linux and applications such as Open
| Office, Firefox Web browser and Thunderbird e-mail software.
`----

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/10/technology/technology_30095272.php

Related:

Thailand: Egat turns to open source to cut costs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/08/28/technology/technology_30046747.php