[News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Attacks the Internet Repeatedly

Computer worm ‘Conficker’ is doing its dirty work

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet security experts say that the computer worm known as Conficker,
| which has the ability to silently penetrate vulnerabilities within the
| Microsoft operating system, is beginning to rear its ugly head.
|
| They say that the software is installing new and malicious programs on some
| of the computers it has already invaded with the aim of using those PCs to
| send out criminal spam and scrounge around on unsecured computers for
| valuable personal data, Reuters reported Friday.
|
| [...]
|
| Experts say that the Conficker worm has already dug into millions of PCs but
| only been activated in a small percent of them. It was feared that the makers
| of the software program would trigger a massive attack on April 1. While that
| didn’t happen, the US Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) said
| earlier this month that it has detected a new variant of the worm
| that “updates earlier infections via its peer-to-peer network against
| unpatched systems.”
`----

http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2009/04/25/computer-worm-conficker-is-doing-its-dirty-work/

Conficker worm dabbling with mischief

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ikHePAHMs5S1Fx1u-ot9ZjwQf4ow

Conficker adds new weapon: spam

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gmn_Mdxh_MharOHLlQraf15SyYxgD97R4UUG1

Conficker is moving again.

http://www.gizhq.com/2009/04/26/conficker-is-moving-again/

Conficker worm begins attacking PCs

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-04/27/content_11267377.htm

Recent:

Conficker: Millions Hit, 300,000 Domains Blocked

,----[ Quote ]
| Shipley told InternetNews.com that the Conficker.C worm has infected about 10
| million Windows-based computers in 150 countries, with China's level of
| infection estimated at 3 million, Brazil at 1 million and Russia at 800,000.
| In the United States, researchers suspect about 200,000 computers have been
| infected.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3813026/Conficker+Over+300000+Domains+Blocked+Millions+Inf.htm

UltraDNS back online after DDoS assault

,----[ Quote ]
| A distributed denial of service attack knocked NeuStar's UltraDNS managed DNS
| service offline for several hours on Tuesday.
|
| NeuStar runs high-availability DNS services for customers such as online
| retailers and IT giants, including Oracle and Juniper. In a statement,
| NeuStar told Networkworld that the attack affected only a small (unspecified)
| subset of its customers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/01/ultradns_ddos/

Three-fold global increase in infected websites

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a three-fold increase in the number of malicious websites around
| the world infected with malware in March, with almost 3,000 potentially
| harmful sites intercepted every day of the month.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24200/1231/

Got pwned by Conficker.B - Fought back & won

,----[ Quote ]
| Our WinXP lappy (used for business & personal) was infected by
| Conficker.B, rendering it a zombie-bot tethered to a botnet somewhere.
| In the end, the OS is replaced with Linux & the data are preserved.
| Complete functionality is restored... All while on the road.
|
| [...]
|
| After about a day and a half, I gave up trying to save the system and
| decided to try to /replace/ it.  I began by using my Nokia N810
| (linux-based internet tablet[3]) to download onto its flash card:
|
| - unetbootin[4] and
| - the iso for gOS 3.1[5].
|
| I put the card into a usb reader and plugged it back into the infected
| lappy.  Then, I:
|
| - loaded and ran unetbootin & gOS iso,
| - manually created some partitions via the gOS install,
| - installed gOS (applied patches, etc)
| - moved data from NTFS to ext3 partition
| - removed NTFS partition.
|
| At that point, we had a (trusted) computer with networking, productivity
| apps and our data again.  The process (excluding download time) took
| about four hours.
`----

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/5d33c17417942d28

Conficker update calls home more stealthily

,----[ Quote ]
| A new version of the Conficker (aka Downadup) worm is working around attempts
| to stifle its activity by dramatically increasing the number of domain names
| used to call home for fresh instructions.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23813/1054/

Conficker gets upgraded with defenses

,----[ Quote ]
| Researchers at Symantec have discovered what could be a significant
| development in the ongoing Conficker worm saga: a new module that is being
| pushed out to some infected systems.
|
| In a couple of ways, the new component is designed to harden infected
| machines against an industry consortium that is actively trying to contain
| the prolific worm. For one, the update targets antivirus software and
| security analysis tools to prevent them from removing the malware. Not only
| does it try to disable anti-malware titles, it also goes after programs such
| as Wireshark and regmon.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/07/conficker_upgrade/

Conficker Worm Strikes Back With New Variant

,----[ Quote ]
| The Conficker/Downadup worm managed to slither onto millions of PCs worldwide
| at its height, but after it initially infected a computer it only really
| acted to spread itself, and didn't cause further harm. Until now.
|
| Symantec reports today that it has found a new variant of the virulent worm
| that will identify antivirus software or security analysis tools running on
| the infected PC, and attempt to shut down those programs. This is a strong
| signal that the worm's mysterious creators haven't abandoned their creation
| in the face of worldwide attention, as some in the industry have theorized,
| but may still have plans to make a buck off their work.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/160854/confickervariant.html?tk=rss_news

Conficker may bring commercial web sites to their knees

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most notorious pieces of recent malware is set to cause collateral
| damage to commercial web sites.
|
| [...]
|
| In practice, security researchers are able to analyse this function as easily
| as any other. And a coalition of ISPs and other players has been registering
| the domains Conficker will try to use before the worm's backers can get hold
| of them.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23538/1054/

Virus strikes 15 million PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| A virulent computer virus has infected as many as 15 million computers around
| the world so far, according to various estimates.
|
| The virus -- a self-replicating computer worm known as Downadup, Conficker or
| Kido -- spreads across computer networks using Microsoft Windows software
| which have not been patched or updated properly. Microsoft issued a patch
| that fixes the vulnerability the virus exploits last October.
`----

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/01/26/Virus_strikes_15_million_PCs/UPI-19421232924206/

Windows worm: Security experts waiting for activation of 'botnet'

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/microsoft/4345295/Windows-worm-Security-experts-waiting-for-activation-of-botnet.html