[News] A Detailed Look at Stellarium and Other Educational Programs for GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] A Detailed Look at Stellarium and Other Educational Programs for GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 19:57:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Gaze at the stars with Stellarium

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/stellarium.html

| Today marks the final installment in our series that takes a look at
| educational versions of popular Linux distributions ideal for students
| returning to class in the next few weeks. We've already talked about Edubuntu
| and openSUSE Education, so today let's take a look at Debian Jr.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/go-back-to-school-with-linux-part-three

Recent:

Stellarium â Planetarium for the Masses

,----[ Quote ]
| Some softwares are just too fun to be let go off and this weekend I
| discovered Stellarium, a free, open source planetarium software that shows
| a ârealistic sky in 3Dâ. Stellarium is designed from ground up as a simple,
| easy to use, open source software to observe and learn about the breath
| taking beauty of the night sky.
`----

http://xenstreet.com/2009/04/stellarium-planetarium-for-masses.html

Viewing the Night Sky with Linux, Part III: Stellarium and Celestia Take You
There

,----[ Quote ]
| Celestia is worth a look. But for beautiful views of the night sky,
| Stellarium is the application of choice. It's almost like the real thing.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6538/1/

Viewing the Night Sky with Linux, Part II: Visit the Planets With

,----[ Quote ]
| Part I of this series covered a simple Linux planetarium program, KStars.
|
| But there are some questions KStars isn't very good at answering, like the
| question that began Part I: "What the heck are those really bright 'stars' in
| the sunset sky?" For viewing closeups of planets, monitoring the motion of
| the planets, getting precise predictions of events like eclipses, and other
| such information, you'll do better with a more powerful tool: XEphem.
|
| XEphem is the oldest and arguably the best-known of the Linux planetarium
| programs. It's not included in most Linux distributions due to its license
| terms, but its source is available to download and the program is free for
| personal, educational or research use. You can buy it, too: $69.95 gets you a
| pre-compiled version of the program plus three CDs worth of extra data files
| that aren't in the free version. It's worth it if you're a sky junkie like I
| am.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6530/1/

Exploring Space with Celestia

,----[ Quote ]
| I've found Celestia to be a lot of fun and extremely educational. My two sons
| enjoy being able to visit the planets in our Solar System. As a parent, it's
| satisfying to navigate to a planet on the computer and hear one of my sons
| exclaim, âOoh, that's Saturn!â
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/exploring-space-celestia

Related:

Fun with free software astronomy

,----[ Quote ]
| Being a devoted backseat observer to the evolution of the Universe in
| general and GNU/Linux software in specific, I thought it was time to
| show off what I consider to be the elite of desktop elegance.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/astronomy_software

Free/Open-source Astronomy Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Astronomy, considered as one of the oldest sciences, is the scientific study
| of celestial objects (such as stars, planets, comets, and galaxies) and
| phenomena that originate outside the Earth's atmosphere (such as the cosmic
| background radiation). Â
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2008/02/freeopen-source-astronomy-software.html

Explore the Universe from your Desktop with Celestia

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techthrob.com/tech/celestia.php